IQ110 Temperature Control

Eugene A

TVWBB Fan
Hello, Everyone:

I am in the market for an ATC for my 18.5" WSM. I've settled on the 110. (I believe I have the correct reference, that is, IQ110. If that's incorrect, then I apologize.)

I'm essentially a weekend warrior, cooking only when, as and if the weather permits and The Boss doesn't object.

The 110 was recommended to me by the friend of a friend, someone who competes on the BBQ circuit.

I've researched it. I have some questions, and I hope that my barbecue brethren and brethrenettes can answer them.

1. Do the other two lower vents have to be "sealed", or is it enough just to close the other two vents?

2. If the other two lower vents have to be sealed, where would I buy extra tape for the next cook?

3. In every photo of the 110, I see it hanging off the handle of the access door on the WSM. Yet, I also read that if the control unit gets too hot, it will malfunction. So, will the control unit get too hot when hanging from the handle on the access door of the WSM?

4. For those cooks where it's necessary to spray or mop, how does the intermittent lid removal affect the 110?

5. For those cooks where I'm using both cooking grates, how do you handle removal of the meat from the lower grate? Do you disconnect the 110 and then start it over again when you place the meat back on the grate, say, when you wrap and continue to cook?

6. When you finish cooking, and you normally close all the vents to let the coals burn out, do you leave the 110 connected and just unplug it?

I tried contacting the folks who make the 110 to request a user manual; but, I haven't received a response.

As always, thanks for your input.

Hope it's not too late for a response. I have the IQ120, but think they are close enough to try and answer some of these.

1. Do the other two lower vents have to be "sealed", or is it enough just to close the other two vents?

I just close the vents. Since I only use the IQ120 on long or overnight cooks, I don't want to seal those permanently.

2. If the other two lower vents have to be sealed, where would I buy extra tape for the next cook?

Some have bought magnetic tape at Home Depot, etc.

3. In every photo of the 110, I see it hanging off the handle of the access door on the WSM. Yet, I also read that if the control unit gets too hot, it will malfunction. So, will the control unit get too hot when hanging from the handle on the access door of the WSM?

I built a rain box for mine, so I just have the box sitting on the ground, not hanging. Not sure about how hot it will get hanging off the handle.

4. For those cooks where it's necessary to spray or mop, how does the intermittent lid removal affect the 110?

On the 120, it's kind of a pain. Starts flashing LID OPEN and takes several minutes to get back to normal. If it bothers me, I just restart the IQ120.

5. For those cooks where I'm using both cooking grates, how do you handle removal of the meat from the lower grate? Do you disconnect the 110 and then start it over again when you place the meat back on the grate, say, when you wrap and continue to cook?

I rarely cook on two grates, and when I have, I wasn't using the ATC. That would probably be an easy way to do it.

6. When you finish cooking, and you normally close all the vents to let the coals burn out, do you leave the 110 connected and just unplug it?

I unplug mine, pull the hose off the adapter, and use the little plug that comes with it to seal the adapter hole.

Hope that helps...

Back