Greetings from Kansas City

Robb Hawk

This is supposed to be just an introduction, but I got carried away once I started writing!

I am Robb, I live in Metro Kansas City, and I love things that last, like V8 cars and cast iron cookware.

I sold my old Genesis 1000 (pretty sure that is what it was) when we went travelling back in 1998 and have missed having a full-sized Weber grills since then.

After settling back in Kansas City, I was out looking at houses with my wife, and came across my treasure! Someone had set an older Weber out on the curb as a "left over" from their community garage sale! I went back home, got some more muscular help, and when I returned, I loaded the beast into the trunk of my Lincoln Continental!

Although I am not positive of the year (perhaps 2002?) or the full model (Genesis Silver A?), I love it! This is the model with the molded shelf on the left with the flip up, the large chrome bezel around a permanently mounted thermometer in the center front of the lid, and controls on the flat panel on the right hand side. I figure this is a more deluxe model for its day, as it has the tank scale built in and the doors conceal the grease catch and some nice storage space.

Over the summer, I worked on bringing it back to life. After applying a little bit of elbow grease to a lot bigger bit of barbecue grease, scrubbing, scraping, painting (probably including places where I did not need to), replacing the ignitor and the two burners, I have an old grill that is solid and works far better than the newer (non-Weber) one that it shares the deck with.

My family thought I was crazy for bringing home a beat up grill when we already had two, but now this is the only one that gets used on a regular basis, and everyone loves it.

It is great to be reunited with a Weber.

Back