3 butts on my 18.5" WSM tomorrow

BKramer

Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting. I have a question, not sure if it belongs here or somewhere else, but since I am using my 18.5" WSM I hope it is OK. If not, some direction would be helpful.

I have 3 pork butts to put on my WSM tomorrow for serving on Saturday as pulled pork sandwiches. To reheat everything would putting it in a crock pot on Low be GTG, or would that dry it out? What about putting a couple aluminum foil drip pans on the lower cooking grates to catch the drippings, then put them in the crock pot with the pork as it is being reheated. Just looking for opinions & or ideas. Thank you!

The first 2 times I used my WSM the meat was just for me & I did not care when it got done. This time I'm having guests & want to have it done before they arrive so no one is waiting. I have not used it enough to figure out how long something will take for it to be done.

ETA: ...& thanks for the welcome. Been lurking for a long time, finally decided to join.

How big are dem butts? :)

About 3.75# each.

IMG_0537_zps5fbd0173.jpg

Warm them in a 250 degrees oven in foil pans with the juices.
Or if you have foodsaver, vacuum seal with juices and warm in a water bath.
I have used the foodsaver method, these where done a week in advance, pulled and frozen.
Tasted like fresh off the pit.

When I do a butt, it usually takes a week to eat it. To me, it tastes even better reheated the next day. I think that is because I didn't spend the day cooking. Still, s butt is very forgiving. Warm it any way you want, and it will be just fine. You could even bathe it in some Carolina sauce, and put it in the oven. It will be GREAT!

With pork butt, I've often done a short smoke (4 or 5 hours) just to get the flavor, then freeze (vacuum sealed) for up to 6 or 7 months before finishing in a crockpot on low for 7-8 hours. The important thing is to not over-trim the butts. You'll need all the connective tissue you can get to keep the meat from drying out.

In the winter I will do two large butts in crockpots with liquid smoke. What isn't eaten I will freeze enough for a meal for us in plastic containers. When we want pulled pork we thaw the container in the frig for a couple of days and warm them in the microwave. They seem to be just as good as when they are made so that is what I would recommend.

I've had my WSM cooker for about a month now. I have done some chickens, a couple of pork loins, and a turkey breast. Sunday I am going to try a brisket and a couple of pork butts. This thing is fun to use.

BKramer,

to answer your question I would say yes and no. First off you couldnt just stick the meat in the smoker without sort of liquid because it would just burn and dry out the meat. Most individuals who cook pulled pork or warm up pulled pork in the crock pot use chicken broth, with that being said you will lose some of the flavor and rubs when you use a liquid on an otherwise dry product. If anything I would recommend the vacuum seal method. I use this all the time when cooking, after I am done I will vacuum seal everything. Days, weeks, or even months later I will then go and grab the meat and put the bag still sealed in boiling water for 30mins per side. It comes out just like the time I smoked it and still juicy. If you do not have a vaccum seal then I would suggest this, either heat it up using a microwave but also include a cup of boiling water for evaporating into the meat. If you want you could also use this same tactic in the oven as well.

Hope this helps, keep on smoking.
Brian

Back