Using servo to control gas grill valve?

Adam Becker

I've just ordered all the parts to build a HeaterMeter. I don't even have a smoker yet, planning to get one next spring if not sooner. But I've been scheming about how I could connect a servo to one of the valve knobs of my Weber Genesis grill. I'm thinking either some type of adapter to grip the whole knob, or else pull the knob off and connect to the shaft. And either way, some way to fix the servo housing to the grill to keep it from turning.

Has anyone else done anything like this?

It should be simple, but sort of begs the questions of why?

I guess to me the why is obvious, but maybe I use my grill differently. If I'm cooking a steak or pork chop, first I sear it, then I move it over to indirect heat to finish. At this point my grill becomes an outdoor gas oven. Engaging HM means I can walk back into the house to check on whatever else I have going on, get a clean plate, etc. The controller takes care of trimming the valve position to account for ambient temp, wind, etc.

I find it strange that the cheapest indoor oven has automatic temp control, while even the most expensive gas grills do not.

I've placed the heatermeter probes in my nice electric oven and have graphed it for a while. The automatic temp control is far from keeping a nice stable temperature. It swings a good 40F in either direction as it tries maintain temp.

What I love about my gas grill is that when I set the knobs to a position, I know it's going to lock in at a temp range and stay there. There's nothing stopping you from automating this with the heatermeter, I just can't see the need since you have great control already with the knobs. At least thats's the case for me on my Weber Genesis.

I've placed the heatermeter probes in my nice electric oven and have graphed it for a while. The automatic temp control is far from keeping a nice stable temperature. It swings a good 40F in either direction as it tries maintain temp.

What I love about my gas grill is that when I set the knobs to a position, I know it's going to lock in at a temp range and stay there. There's nothing stopping you from automating this with the heatermeter, I just can't see the need since you have great control already with the knobs. At least thats's the case for me on my Weber Genesis.

Actually with my gas smoker this is not the case, specially with the changes in outside temperature, water levels and wood. And with colder tempers the propane in the tank actually start to lose some of its pressure.

But this is not for a long cook. This is to maintain the temps after searing the meat. Total cook time is less than 20 minutes. Turning the knob from High to Medium should be all that's necessary.

It's not that the HM can't do it, it just seems like a solution looking for a problem that probably doesn't exist. If nothing else, use the HM to monitor the cook and alert you once you've hit your desired internal temp.

I'll admit that I may be exaggerating the need to control my gas grill, I just got my Genesis and haven't cooked a lot with it yet. I'm a control systems engineer by trade and like to automate things, so I think it would be cool to get it working either way. If I do I'll post how I did it for anyone interested.

This is something a buddy of mine wanted too. Sure, gas grills are a lot easier to set and forget but I still think there's at least some benefit from being able to actually set a temperature rather than setting the knob "somewhere about 2/3 between the MED and HI marks". We envisioned some sort of 3D printed magnetic cover that slipped over the knob and had the servo inside to adjust the knob. Never actually got past the talking about it phase though, so nothing was ever built.

I say go for it and post pictures!

I'll admit that I may be exaggerating the need to control my gas grill, I just got my Genesis and haven't cooked a lot with it yet. I'm a control systems engineer by trade and like to automate things, so I think it would be cool to get it working either way. If I do I'll post how I did it for anyone interested.

What more reason do you need?
A heatermeter is a completely unnecessary solution for a minor problem. Grog cooked his mastodon over direct flame how many years ago?, pretty sure he didn't have a smartphone to tell him when it was done. But its freaking awesome & we can. so we do.

Back