What is a Weber "Compact Kettle Charcoal Grill"??

Brian StL

Hello all, I found online (via "Bookoo") a very slightly used Weber "Compact Kettle Charcoal Grill".
I've never seen one of these. Any idea how good of a grill it is? Is it worth $70 (I suppose I could offer $50 for it). Seems like an odd grill that might make a cool collectible.

Here is the link:
http://wiesbaden.bookoo.com/i/49172810

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have one, picked it up at a yard sale a while back. It does not get very hot,as there is only one vent on the bottom like a SJS and the vent plugs up. These are usually sold only in europe, the guy I bought mine from brought it over with him. I only use to set my chimney on, IMO it is not worth getting plus if you look at the lid its actually flat not rounded so hight is an issue

I have one, picked it up at a yard sale a while back. It does not get very hot,as there is only one vent on the bottom like a SJS and the vent plugs up. These are usually sold only in europe, the guy I bought mine from brought it over with him. I only use to set my chimney on, IMO it is not worth getting plus if you look at the lid its actually flat not rounded so hight is an issue

Yep yep, European model.

http://fr.weberstephen.be/nos-gamme...act-kettle/compact-kettle-oe-47-cm-black.aspx

We also get a Weber 'Compact' in Australia. I suspect they were even developed for Australia.

As I understand it they were used in OZ to give a base model that they could reduce the price of a Weber Kettle to compete against cheap Asian made clones.

Shallower in the bowl section, we do not tend to cook that many large turkeys here so the loss of height is not so much a problem.

You do have to be a bit more careful lifting the lid off, as the closeness of the fire tends to stir up ash over your food.And your food is closer to the fire when you cook.

A 57 cm (22.5") Compact here is currently priced @ $199 (so larger than the European 47cm (18.5") one) AUD is worth about 0.90USD

A 57cm Silver @ $299

A 57cm 'One touch Gold' is $399

and that's basically all that is offered.

in the UK

14.5 smokey joe - £48 (premium colours £56)
go anywhere - £64 - gas £104
18.5 jumbo joe - £85

18.5 compact - £55
22.5 compact - £80
18.5 one touch - £90
22.5 one touch - £128
22.5 one touch premium - £168
26.5 one touch premium - £450 (seriously)
22.5 mastertouch - £200
22.5 performer - £400

14.5 wsm - £255
18.5 wsm - £300
22.5 wsm - £375

ranch kettle - £1280

current exchange rate is $1 = £0.60

read 'em and weep boys

" Holy cannoli, $400 for a One Touch Gold? They are $150 here. Are your dollars different from ours? "

No, our dollar is approx. US$ 0.90

It's just Weber's international pricing policy at work.

Try and figure why so many of us import them into the country through friends and relatives who are living over there. :D

I just paid US$ 672 to buy and ship my 22.5 " WSM over here, because it's not available for sale in Australia.

The 18.5 " WSM that is available here retails for US$ 625

These don't have traditional leg sockets. Everything is bolt on including the lid vent. No rivets.

Thanks. My gut told me that it may be a Euro-model, but the lower asking price made me think otherwise. I'll definitely pass on this one.

Back