Drilling a drain hole!?!

Brad L

TVWBB Member
I HATE cleaning my 22" WSM. I always forget post cook and have to get to it the next day. Seems lately I have to wait until it stops raining then dump out the gallon or two of water in the bottom along with the ashes. The water usually backs up and out the bottom vents and then the lower grate and charcoal ring are sitting in water too. Great design weber :confused:

I also try to leave all vents open and some ashes in the bottom even when the cover is on. The ashes seem to soak up any moisture and keep the fuzzies away between uses in my past experiences.

What are your thoughts about drill an 1/8" hole right in the middle of the bottom? Possibly align it with the hole in the heat shield?

I leave my WSM on the deck covered when not in use. I don't seem to have the water intrusion problem you're describing. If I did I'd probably look for a way to protect it other than drilling a drain hole. Anyway to keep it under cover?

A drain hole will most likely be the place where corrosion starts. Charcoal ashes are highly corrosive. Add a little water and a sacrificial anode (your now exposed WSM metal) and you have yourself a battery.

I had not thought of that, thanks Dwain.

The only time I get that much liquid is when it is not covered. I still get some condensation when covered and I have found that leaving all vents open some ashes prevent any problems. I wish I had some covered storage for it.

If mine's uncovered and it rains it fills up also. So when it starts looking like rain and I am cooking I deploy the Dallas Cowboy Blue EZ Up. When I'm done and it cools down the cover goes back on to prevent water intrusion.

SWMBO and I were talking this AM about her making me a new waterproof cover. She's agreed... in theory.

The reason Weber "designed" it that way was to keep smoke drippings on the inside. Catch 22.. Rainwater seeks a natural course and that's on the outside.
Besides keeping it under-cover ( like a lean two) a large plastic contractor garbage bag works if kept out in the elements.
You could flip the mid-section over so the flow is diverted. I would think that is a PITA for every day use, but for long term storage, an option.

Tim

As Tim mentioned, I have covered mine with a contractor size plastic garbage bag for a few years now with no problem at all. Since I did the handle mod, the original weber cover no longer fits and the plastic bag seemed like the simplest/cheapest/easiest route to go. While not the most attractive cover in the world, it works like a charm!
Tim

Seems like Weber could've used a lid design like on the kettles where it overlaps, ...then add the "underlapping" part as well. (It'd look like the letter h.)

... I have covered mine with a contractor size plastic garbage bag for a few years now with no problem at all. Since I did the handle mod, the original weber cover no longer fits...
same here, large plastic garbage bag THEN the Weber vinyl cover over that.
If you've added handles to your WSM mid-section and the original cover will not slide over to cover, buy Weber's NEXT SIZE COVER:
If you have an 18" WSM with handles, cover it with one for a 22" WSM
If you have a 22" WSM with handles, cover it with one for a 26" Weber Grill ← that's what I do :D Never worry about water in the base ever again.

I keep mine under cover, so water intrusion is not an issue.
However, if I were to punch drain hole, I'd go for at least 1/4" diameter.
Use a Unibit (step bit) for best results.

Back