BBQ two weekends in a row

Rory

Hey all, got a few questions.

I got the 18" WSM and am more than happy with the results I'm getting from it. I'm doing a pulled pork for a 'Pot Luck' dinner this weekend (pulled pork goes down great at pot lucks and travels really well so seems like the obvious choice) which I have done before, however I'm also planning on doing one for a different pot luck the following weekend! ("you don't make friends with salad"). So my question is: should I do two butts this weekend in one go and freeze one of them? or should I do them separately on the day for best results? I'm err-ing on the side of doing them separately for best results but fuel & wood costs are on my mind.

Of course if people suggest to do the two in one go can you please give some indication on how you would save the second one? I've saved and even frozen leftovers before, but never a whole butt? How do you 'pull' a defrosted butt?

All thoughts and suggestions welcome :)

Cheers.

I'd do two in the same cook for the reasons you have. Typically when I do pulled pork I do two butts since I have the room and already will be burning the fuel. I would pull the second and then freeze. I usually will freeze the second in four separate freezer bags (food saver) so I can have smaller single portions or thaw a couple if I need more. Good luck with your two weekend pot lucks.

If you've got the time, do it in two cooks. Reheated pulled works pretty good, but I prefer it 'fresh'. I usually bring it to the party wrapped in a cooler and pull it there with bear claws.

If you're going to do it in one, use a food saver for best results. You can thaw in water then heat in a 200 deg oven in a foil covered dish or I have used a crock pot on low with some finishing sauce mixed in.

If you've got the time, do it in two cooks. Reheated pulled works pretty good, but I prefer it 'fresh'. I usually bring it to the party wrapped in a cooler and pull it there with bear claws.

If you're going to do it in one, use a food saver for best results. You can thaw in water then heat in a 200 deg oven in a foil covered dish or I have used a crock pot on low with some finishing sauce mixed in.
I totally agree. If you do two at the same time I'd pull both of them then freeze. It's easier to pull all at once. If you don’t have some "bear paws" they're well worth it.

Back