a kind of restoration but do not take it word-for-word

Peter G

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

Finally I managed to get a Weber Genesis Silver B (I wrote a few words about it in the introducing topic).

As it is a more than 10-year-old used thing it is dirty everything covered by burnt grease and rust.
I started cleaning but the process is slow the dirt is tough. I hope the grates will be usable eventually!

If I may I have few questions:
How clean should the lid be? I know the cooking box is hard to be cleaned properly and it is not very necessary. I want the dirt to be removed from the grates, warming rack, warm-up basket. But what about the lid? I also ask it because some coating is coming off. I do not want to ruin the coating of the lid. I try to show it on the photo below:
IMG-20140914-00427.jpg

Another question is the gas tank. Of course the tanks are different here. But does anyone know how heavy tank can be put on this holder? And what about the diameter?
IMG-20140909-00400.jpg

I do not have fuel gauge. Do I really need it?

As far as the flavorizer bars are concerned, if they are greasy, rusty and holey like on the picture below, it is the best to throw them away and replace for new ones, right? After "cleaning":
IMG-20140914-00424.jpg

And the others:
IMG-20140914-00412.jpg

Unfortunately RCplanebuyer doesn't ship outside the US, I have to buy them in Hungary. I can buy the Weber porcelain enameled set for $50, and the Weber SS set for $90. Which one would you recommend? I'd rather choose the cheaper ones...

I think these questions are enough for the start :). Sorry for it and thanks for the answers in advance!
Peter

Choose the SS ones. They'll give 20x the life for 2x the cost. A good trade off. As for dirt it's really about how far you really feel the need to go

That is not a coating on the inside of the lid, that is carbon build up from use. I wouldn't bother trying to clean it all off as it will just build back up with use. Just knock the loose flakes off and you are good to go. Dan

I use a paint scraper to remove the carbon/grease buildup (not coating) from the lid. Otherwise it might fall onto your food. Your tank should be what is known as a 20 pound tank here. Weighs about 18 kg/40 lbs when full. Should be fine. Replace the flavorizer bars - stainless will last a lifetime but regular steel should be good for 15-20 years if you clean them occasionally. I have a set in my Genesis that I've had since 1991 or 92. Weekly usage and they are still fine.

Thanks Tom,
regular steel means the porcelain enameled, right?
And for the tank: this hook and the fork can hold 18 kg/40 lbs?
Sorry, the tank's weight doesn't matter. The heavier tanks here are too tall, they do not fit under the control panel. I have less than 50 cm/ 20 in, and the 11 kg/24 lbs tank is 58,5 cm/23 in... :-(
8I have to go for smaller ones. 5 kg/11 lbs (48,5 cm/19 in, total 12 kg/27 lbs, and the diameter is 23 cm/9 in) or 7,5 kg/17 lbs (46 cm/19 in, total 12 kg/27 lbs, and the diameter is 30 cm/12 in).

Last edited:
Thanks LMichaels! The only question is that do they really need to last so long. I read in this forum somewhere that the gas carries moisture and that is why even the SS bars will get rust. If the porcelain enameled bars last 15-20 years as Tom wrote, I'm happy and do not need more... Thanks anyway.

I truly don't think you'll get 15 years from the porcelain ones. 5 to 10 on the outside (depending on use). Moisture in the gas is BS. There is no moisture in LP. Burning ANY fossil fuel will release moisture as part of the combustion process. The SS is pretty much a permanent replacement part

Peter,
I just cleaned the inside of a hood I'm restoring on my own...my hood looked worse than yours on the inside!
I used simple green cleaner, a putty knife and a garden hose...it me all of about 40 minutes to get every bit of that Crap off and down to the painted metal. Try simple green even on the inside of the cookbox, as it seemed to work better than oven cleaner..
Hope this helps.

Mary

Peter,
I just cleaned the inside of a hood I'm restoring on my own...my hood looked worse than yours on the inside!
I used simple green cleaner, a putty knife and a garden hose...it took me all of about 40 minutes to get every bit of that Crap off and down to the painted metal. Try simple green even on the inside of the cookbox, as it seemed to work better than oven cleaner..
Hope this helps.

Mary

Hello Mary,
thanks for the info, unfortunately here you cannot find Simple Green products, but I try to find sg similar...

I see your point and 100% agree. However, I do not know whether I can find here perfume-free detergent which is effective enough. But who knows, maybe we will be rolling in the dough thanks to our new, grapefruit flavored steak :)

What a gourmet you are! "Of course I knew. I just had no idea!" :)

This
can be bought here. What do you think? It costs 2x than the previous...

I truly don't think you'll get 15 years from the porcelain ones. 5 to 10 on the outside (depending on use). Moisture in the gas is BS. There is no moisture in LP. Burning ANY fossil fuel will release moisture as part of the combustion process. The SS is pretty much a permanent replacement part

There is quite a bit of moisture from burning propane.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide.
C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + heat

propane + oxygen → carbon dioxide + water

When not enough oxygen is present for complete combustion, incomplete combustion occurs when propane burns and forms water, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide.
C3H8 + 4.5 O2 → 2 CO2 + CO + 4 H2O + heat

Propane + Oxygen → Carbon dioxide + Carbon monoxide + Water

Back