First Cook with the Jumbo Joe

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This has been a very demanding day for me and the wife - nothing serious but just flat tiring. We happened to have some chicken legs in the fridge and I REALLY wanted to try out the Jumbo Joe, so... Jerk Chicken it is. I used one of the Performer Baskets and filled it with one Mini-chimney full of lit. I used a disposable aluminum pan under the chicken.

My new "Target" Jumbo Joe:

I fired it up and checked the temperature through the top vent with a digital thermocouple after a few minutes:

My wife brined the chicken then marinated in the the Walkerswood Mild (mixed 50/50 with EVOO) slurry - on the grill:

After the chicken was on about thirty minutes, I started saucing every five minutes to build up layers of flavor. Fifty minutes and off it came. I must apologize - I ate one of the legs before plating:rolleyes:

Here's a closeup of a finished leg just before I ate it:

The flavor was all that I hoped for. Just before pulling it, I hit it for about 30 seconds a side over the extremely hot direct fire. It added just a bit of char that thoroughly deepened the flavor profile.

I am a VERY happy camper with my new Jumbo Joe. It will handle all that I need for picnics, etc. It would be near perfect for tailgating, as others have reported on here.

Note; We removed the skin before brining and marinating. The legs were pierced with a sharp paring knife to get the marinated flavor deep into the meat. I MUCH prefer my chicken naked, these days...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Nice work my friend.
I never had jerk chicken but after your post I need to research this. Thanks for sharing.

Tony R;
Here is the Walkerswood Web Site - note that they have THREE different flavors of Jerk Seasoning: Mild, Traditional, and Hot & Spicy:

http://www.walkerswood.com/index.php

Amazon sells these if you can't get them locally. The web site has many recipes for the use of their products.

This is GOOD stuff, my friend!

Keep on smokin',

Nice cook up. The JJ is great for maintaining low consistent temps for low and slow cooks , like pulled pork. Low fuel consumption too.

UPDATE:

I am now leaving the chicken skin on chicken parts (including wings, of course) but using a meat tenderizer to poke holes in the skin and somewhat down into the meat before brining and marinating. This renders the fat from the skin in a more efficient manner leading to much crisper skin (like, REALLY crisp) and also the marinate is into the meat for better flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004UE7Y/tvwb-20

Keep on smokin',

Robert, for the price and the size that JJ looks like it would be easier to use than breaking out the Performer and easer to cook for just my wife and I. Thanks for the look.

I am now leaving the chicken skin on chicken parts (including wings, of course) but using a meat tenderizer to poke holes in the skin and somewhat down into the meat before brining and marinating. This renders the fat from the skin in a more efficient manner leading to much crisper skin (like, REALLY crisp) and also the marinate is into the meat for better flavor.

I'm going to try that next time, thanks!

Bob Ivey;
I have two Performers (one a CL and one a end of season close out) and flat LOVE them. However, after I got the Jumbo Joe, I find myself using it often for the smaller cooks. It is quite easy to handle, it can do a spectacular job, and it is just fun to use. When I need a truly efficient portable grill, it is there, too.

The JJ is so much better than the typical portable grill (can do two zone fires just like you do on the Performers, etc.), that it is almost comical to try to compare. I have serious reservations about my Smoky Joe but I have NO reservations with my Jumbo Joe.

Keep on smokin',

Back