Rib racks

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Looking for advice on the best rib rack for my WSM 22.5. Will be cooking spares mainly. I read 100's of reviews on amazon and really am lost on which one to buy. Seems like the more the rib rack can hold the more you have or squeeze them in. Some seem to want flop to the sides. Anyway what do you all use and suggest. Would like to do two rib racks for top and bottom grate. 5 to 6 per would be ideal unless the 4 rack jobbers make more sense. I only smoke ribs with a dry rub so ability to sauce in the rib rack is not necessary. Thanks!

You won't be able to fit as many ribs in this way, but I like to roll my ribs. I can get three racks of ribs on each grate (so six on my 18.5" wsm). The main reason I do this is the same concern I will alert you to as you look for a rack. If you really want to clean your rack between cooks, most rib racks are a pain in the butt. I have a rack that can hold a few more ribs, but it's not worth it. Cleaning the rack takes too much time. With rolling, I skewer the meat and when done, the only thing I have to clean is the wsm grate, which I would have to do anyway. The skewers are bamboo and I obviously just throw them away. There are racks that are easier to clean than others so keep this in mind as you consider options. Basically, the hard place to clean is where metal comes together on the rack so the less of that there is, the easier it is to clean. You also want the gaps to be big enough to get your hand in there to clean the rack.

Another option is to add another grate or two. There are plenty of ideas in the mods section, but basically, just stack another grate between your top and bottom grate and you've increased your capacity. And in my opinion, a grate is much easier to clean than a rib rack.

Interesting. So you skip the racks altogether and roll. I've heard of this concept and considered it for use on my 14.5. Do you use one or multiple bamboo skewers per roll? Skewer in the center of the roll between bones? How tight do you roll (as tight as the meat will let you or loose). Am I assuming right that stand the rolls up or do you lay flat? Do the racks want to fall away from the skewer as the meat gets close to done? Sorry for all the questions, but I've only heard of this and can't say I've ever seen it in action.

Jerry this idea is real helpful. I hate cleaning up and our old house does not have a dishwasher so the part about clean up being a pain is real helpful advice. Appreciate the insight.

Don't get the Weber 6605...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Original-Rib-Rack-6605/204787276
I have one and hate it...when you cut a rack in half, the halves are often too short to sit in the rack properly.
I have to use skewers to support the ribs.
Also racks are hard on your bark, ripping it off as you remove the ribs.

There is a Brinkman rack that the Mini WSM guys like...the key with any of these racks is the distance between the main cross members

As mentioned above, rolling your rib racks is a good solution as well as just laying them flat as I'm doing right now on a 22.5 OTG.
I use one bamboo skewer when I roll and I roll the rack as tightly as it will allow.
IIRC, the center open area is about 3.5"- 4" in diameter.

Last edited:
I just roll them as tight as possible and jam a couple skewers through them to lock it in. Basically, the skewer goes through the meat before the last bone or the one before that and through the center of the roll. There's really no right or wrong way to do it. Just make sure there is no meat touching where there is overlap. They stand up just fine.

Actually, the meat doesn't fall away as it gets close to done. The shape kind of gets locked in once the meat starts to cook and they stay pretty stable throughout the cook. They come apart when they are done and you try to lay them flat, but instead, I just cut at every two or three bones so the meat is then serving portioned sized. This is actually a good idea for large groups. If you lay a half or full slab in front of someone, they will eat most or all of it. But at a couple bones at a time, with plenty of sides, they don't eat as much meat. Don't get me wrong, they eat all they want, it just tends to be less when served that way.

If you go with racks, don't get this one. While it seems to work OK, it's a total bear to clean. Non-stick my butt! The first time I used it, it took 2 days of soaking to get it completely clean. From then on, I took the "scorched earth" approach: put it on the gas grill and crank that sucker up for about a half hour. That's enough to incinerate the crud to the point that it wipes off pretty easily. I suspect, however, that this will adversely affect the lifespan of the rack. It was a gift that didn't sell at our yard sale last Fall, so I won't be too upset when it becomes unusable.

Hey Dustin, I think this is what Jerry is talking about. I usually do ribs flat but this time I was adding them during a long brisket and butt cook. As you can see in the picture I try to skewer them so the meat doesn't touch to ensure even cooking.You can't see the 3rd rolled slab on the lower grate next to the butt, this was all done on an 18.5. Trimming the skewers helps with placement.Works quite well.

90B82A5D-18C0-45A9-9F70-A6F7B55308B4_zpscsoflavf.jpg

Last edited:

Back