Where did all the K Kruger rubs go? Anyone have a Kruger rib rub?

Michael N

TVWBB Fan
Hey there,

I know that the switch to the new(ish) forum caused a lot of old posts to go missing.
Anyone have a copy of K Krugers rib rubs?

I've searched the posts and can only find links to the missing posts.

Kevin if your out there, do you have a new one?

Thanks!

I found one....

My rub recipe from last night's ribs. Served with Kinda Carolina sauce on the side...

This makes just enough for 3 racks of spares. I don't mix salt into my rib rubs. I sprinkle Kosher salt generously on the rack first, then apply the rub over it.

1/4 c sugar
1/4 c ground Ancho chili powder
1/4 c paprika
1 Tbl ground cumin
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbl green peppercorns, crushed
1 Tbl ground white pepper
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger

Dry the ribs and sprinkle salt on them. Apply the rub. I do this when I am starting the coals and let them sit on the counter till the coals are ready then smoke low and slow. Last night's were with hickory--took about 6 hours in the WSM--then I double-wrapped them in heavy duty foil and rested them an hour. Delicious.

I thought I'd do a search myself. Kept coming up with the same error message.

Unfortunately, all of the recipes for rubs and sauces I posted on this board I wrote FOR this board. I do not have them anywhere else, believing they'd always be here. :-(

If I do a search with my name ONLY I get pages of results. If I do a search with ANYTHING ("rub", e.g.) in the search box plus my name I get NO results. Strange.

Last edited:
If I do a search with my name ONLY I get pages of results. If I do a search with ANYTHING ("rub", e.g.) in the search box plus my name I get NO results. Strange.

I think I read one of Chris A's posts that said three-letter words aren't searchable.

I have several of Kevin's recipes in my files. I'm covered up for the next few days, but I'll try to post them as soon as I can. I'll put them in the Rubs forum or whatever is most appropriate and will link from here to there. I hope we can recover most of them -they are too good to be lost.

Rita

Here is one he gave me for rib many years ago. Always go back to it. Thanks again Kevin.

6 T chili powder
6 T light brown sugar or turbinado
1/4 c granulated garlic
1/4 c granulated onion
3 T thyme
2 t rubbed sage
1 t ginger powder
1 t ground black pepper
1 t ground coriander
1 t ground allspice
.5 t marjoram
.5 t cayenne (or less or more, depending on desired heat)
.5 t ground white pepper
.5 t ground cumin
.5 t cinnamon

What do you think?

(Alternatively, get anchos, guajillos, cascabels at the store then toast and grind a few of each. Measure out 2 T of each ground chile, blend and taste for heat. Up the heat, if desired, by including the cayenne noted above, in whatever quantity is suitable.)

Here is another from an old post.

First, I'd lose the paprika as its flavor is not only subtle, it also doesn't stand up to long cooking. I'd replace it with more flavorful ground chilies, a blend of 2 or, ditching the chili powder as well, a blend of 3. Much more depth.

I'd replace the garlic and onion salts with granulated garlic and onion and change the ratios.

Cayenne has heat but little flavor so I'd drop that and use a flavorful hotter chile in the chile blend above.

I'd alter the black-white pepper ratio.

I'd use thyme as the primary herb, marjoram and perhaps bay in secondary roles.

I'd cut the cumin a little and add a couple or three 'sweet' spices--allspice, ginger and cinnamon--in small quantities.

Salting the meat first, separately, and keeping salt out of the rub, allows you to use as much or as little rub as you wish without affecting salt levels.

Thus:
1/2 c sugar--consider light brown or turbinado
Chile blend:
3 T ancho, 2 T guajillo, 1 T aji amarillo
or
3 T ancho, 2 T guajillo, 1 T cascabel
or
2 T ancho, 1.5 T guajillo, 1 T aji amarillo, .5 T cascabel
1/3 c granulated onion
1/4 c granulated garlic
3 T thyme
1 t marjoram
1 t powdered bay leaf
1.5 t white pepper
1.5 t black pepper
1.5 t allspice
1 t ginger
.5 t cumin
.5 t cinnamon
T=tablespoon t=teaspoon
For best flavor buy quality ingredients!

You'd likely find whole anchos, and cascabels in area markets (you can toast them and grind them yourself) but not the powdered form and not aji amarillos. All are available in ground form from here. (They are also available whole from the same site.)

No posts were deleted in the move to new software in July 2012, but URLs changed and thus many links are broken. And yes, for performance reasons the vBulletin search does not index words less than four characters.

If you have an old link to a post you're looking for, there is a way for me to look it up manually. I'm happy to do a few here and there for people.

If someone is looking to volunteer for a project, how about find all of Kevin's rub recipes and create a new index page in the Rubs Forum? Something along the lines of the Kruger Safety Compilation or the High Heat Brisket Compilation.

Back