Indiana > Lebanon: Parky's Smokehouse

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
On a recent trip to Ohio I stopped at Parky's Smokehouse in Lebanon, Indiana, which is northwest of Indianapolis at the intersection of state highways 32 and 39. It looks more like a sports bar than a barbecue joint.

ParkysSmokehouseLebanonIN20140820_1.jpg

The main dining area is on the other side of the booths at right.

ParkysSmokehouseLebanonIN20140820_2.jpg

I ordered the 2-meat combo and chose brisket and pork. I would've preferred the brisket to be sliced and offered as point or flat but here in the Midwest it's been my experience that it's more often shredded, perhaps to yield a more homogenous final product.

ParkysSmokehouseLebanonIN20140820_3.jpg

Both meats were nice and moist but I would've like a little more smoke in the beef. The pork had a stronger smoke flavor; more than I often get in restaurants here at home.

For my 2 sides I chose beans and barbecue potato chips. The beans had a definite tomato flavor and plenty of meat mixed in, and I had no problem finishing them. The chips were a little more inconsistent with a couple being overly salty, but they were warm and crisp.

ParkysSmokehouseLebanonIN20140820_4.jpg

The menu has all kinds of non-barbecue options as well so it should appeal to a wide variety of customers. There's always the danger of quantity over quality but Parky's has been in business for a long time, so apparently they do many things well. And that includes the customer service, which was very good. I can't remember her name but my server was friendly and efficient, and definitely seemed like she was happy to be there.

Back