Brazilian Picanha with Garlic

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
All the other times I've made picanha, I've seasoned only with salt. This time, I also added finely minced garlic and olive oil for a change. It was good, but I've still got a ways to go before I can achieve results comparable to the restaurant quality picanha served at Brazilian churrascarias. That being said, I think I'm now ready to invest in some good quality churrasco skewers like the ones they use in Brazilian restaurants.

Here are some action shots. I started off cooking the beef with indirect heat from lump charcoal, then I removed the grill grates and held the double-skewered beef directly above the charcoal baskets to get a sear on the meat and a little charring on the fat cap.

A photo of the beef right before I took it off the skewer, and a shot of the picanha all sliced up and ready to serve.

Can't wait to see the new skewers in action!
Your picanhas have been lookin' real nice.
I can't say as I've seen sirloin cap in my meat case...

MzrRob0Eqz6mt2-640m.jpg

Hahaha...that's the ultimate compliment right there, Clint! Most of the Brazilian steakhouses I've been to use a simple card which has a red and green side. The one churrascaria which had something like the one in your photo was a place my wife and I went to while vacationing in Aruba. We had a very flamboyant waiter who gave us the usual explanation of green-side-up means to bring meat to the table and red-side-up means to stop. However, our waiter then told us that if we turn the thing on its side, he'll call 911.

Last edited:
Jerome,

I was just directed to your posts, I didn't find them earlier because I spelled it "Pichana."

I got a Picanha/Pichana today in my Steak of the Month deal, and am debating how to cook it. Do you prefer it whole or in the smaller pieces?

Your results look perfect. I hope to do as well.

Jim

Jerome,

I was just directed to your posts, I didn't find them earlier because I spelled it "Pichana."

I got a Picanha/Pichana today in my Steak of the Month deal, and am debating how to cook it. Do you prefer it whole or in the smaller pieces?

Your results look perfect. I hope to do as well.

Jim

Hi Jim,

It's a funny coincidence that this thread got resurrected, as I just ate picanha at a Brazilian barbecue restaurant last night. Personally, I prefer to cook it in the traditional churrascaria way, with thick slices folded into a "C" shape onto a skewer. I still got good results cooking it whole, but from a flavor standpoint I prefer the meat-fat-crust ratio that comes with cooking smaller pieces. I saw the picture you posted in your Steak Of The Month thread, and it looks like you got a really high quality piece of sirloin cap with a nice thick layer of fat just like they serve at Brazilian restaurants.

Perfection! Like all your Churrasco / Picanha cooking. Perfection!
You're an inspiration to me, Jerome. I'll cook for the foreseeable future according to you.
Thank you, my friend.

Back