Two butts on 14.5"

Danny Mo.

Hey guys. Having a party this weekend and will need to throw 2 butts on my 14.5 WSM. This will be the first time I'll be cooking on the bottom rack. Any suggestions or tips? Butts will be 10 lbs or less after trimming and I will wrap them. Cooked butts before but only one and it was on the top rack.

Danny Mo.;
When I do two butts on my smokers (one on each grate), I switch the butts between grates after wrapping to kind of even out any temperature differences between the two grates.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Danny make sure you compensate the coals for that extra meat. For every lb more hot coals are needed to keep temperature up.

Thanks guys. @dale53. Cool trick for switching racks. Going to give it a try! Busts have been on since 7:30am. Temp is about 175. Coming up slow. Or at least seems slow. Lots of meat in there. Full water pan. Small smoker : (

Thanks guys. @dale53. Cool trick for switching racks. Going to give it a try! Busts have been on since 7:30am. Temp is about 175. Coming up slow. Or at least seems slow. Lots of meat in there. Full water pan. Small smoker : (

It'll adapt to all that meat mass, get to temp, and level out. You could remove the water from the pan for the first part (or all) of the cook to help it along if you wanted to. There's plenty of water in the butts right now.

Getting a little worried. Temp wouldn't go over 200. Just wrapped the butts after about 4 hours and added another chimney. Not filling water pan. She's getting up there but still iffy. Party starts at 5 :(

Sorry for the delay guys. Butts came out ok actually after wrapping. The smaller one was much for tender than the big boy. I had a scare but thanks for the tips. Hopefully one butt at a time now.

Danny;
When working with the 14.5" as compared to the 18.5" - I have to leave the 14.5" wide open until the target temperature is reached. Sometimes, that doesn't happen until time to wrap. Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to increase the cooking time all that much. With the 18.5" I have to catch the temperature on the way up and reduce the bottom vents in advance. Just a bit of difference in managing between these two smokers. No big deal, just a bit different.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back