18 hours for a 17.5 lb Brisket?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Got a good deal at Smart & Final on a 17.5 lb choice packer brisket.
I'm wanting to smoke it on my 18.5 WSM at 270* & foil it or wrap in parchment paper after it hits the stall.
I was thinking after trimming it would be about 15 lbs (?) so @ 1.25hr per pound would be roughly 18 hr.
I'd like to pull it from the smoker around 3:00 in the afternoon. Dinner at 6:00 or so.
So, start the cook at 9:00 pm.?
I've a few briskets under my belt, but am no brisket expert. Nothing this big. It's HUGE !!!
I've taken the plunge this time & invited company.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure. I did two, twelve pound briskets this summer. One took nine hours, and the other took twelve. Because the first one went so quickly I slept in for the second one, and it was a late meal that night. :)

I can't imagine you brisket will take 18 hours. That seems like an awfly long time.

I seriously doubt at 270 it will take that long especially wrapping at the stall. But it's always a crapshoot. If you are off a few hours no biggy. I'd think more like 15. That's a guess based on nothing.

Welp... I'll be getting it awn in a few hours.
Thanks for the comments/suggestions.
I just read the Harry Soo sticky & have decided to drop the cook to 250*. I have an Auber temp controller that I'll plug in several hours after I load the WSM.
Will take a few pix. Anyone care to recommend a photo-host site? Photobucket? Flicker? Not interested in paying $$$. However.... would not like to see"files not found" for this thread 6 months later or so.
Again, thanks.

I just read the Harry Soo sticky & have decided to drop the cook to 250*.

~~~I did my 1st and only 15 lb. packer brisket (also chioce) a month or so back...I cooked at around 250 and felt (hindsight) that I should have gone lower (tempwise)...mine went 15 hours, got too hot/high, around 209, the flat was dry, the point, right on...my next packer I'll shoot for 225 degrees Fahrenheit, but that's me

I have an Auber temp controller that I'll plug in several hours after I load the WSM.

~~~I blew my pit on that packer smoke...IQ120, haven't used it since but, I'm looking forward to the next one

Will take a few pix. Anyone care to recommend a photo-host site? Photobucket? Flicker? Not interested in paying $$$. However.... would not like to see"files not found" for this thread 6 months later or so.
Again, thanks.

I've been using flickr for awhile...here's my photostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/ various sets/albums https://www.flickr.com/photos/26137108@N04/sets/

with flickr, the first 200 photos are free, after that, you pay a flat yearly fee and they'll host all you can post. Not a bad deal for about $25/year. That said, there was a period of a few weeks (or so it seemed) that I couldn't access my photos on flickr recently, so I opened a photo bucket account,. just so I could host some pics on this thread-

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54390-Jake-s-New-Gasser-Broil-King-Baron-4-Burner

I like Flickr but they'll change things up every now and then, and it takes a while to get used to their new software. FWIW, the photo bucket site seemed easy to navigate, but if you want to host a lot of pics, and you don't want dead links down the road, be prepared to pay for hosting

The cook went well. Turned out the best brisket I've ever done. So I'm pleased, as were the guests.
Injected with Beef Broth & rubbed with"Big Bad Beef Rub" from AmazingRibs.com.
Used a full charcoal basket of KB & Minion Method with 1/2 chimney to start it. 6 chunks of mesquite (3 per hour for 2 hours). Maverick 732 for checking grill & meat temps.
Started the cook at 10:55 pm & the smoker was at 251* by 11:15. Had to use a rib rack to fit the brisket on the top grill.
Watched the smoker until 4:15. Temps had ranged from 261* to 240*. Decided the meat was too big for me to foil unaided. Hooked up the Aubiers controller, but it set off the alarm. I was in no mood to deal with it, so decided to not use it. Got some shut eye.
Checked it at 6:45 am & the temp was at 262*. Went back to bed.
Got up at 9:10 am & the temp was 256* - the meat was at 171. So far so good!!!
By 10:15 the brisket was at 177*, so I decided to drop the smoker to 230* to slow things down.
At 2:15 the meat was at 188* so I probed it. It was beyond tender, so I pulled it, foiled it, wrapped it in a blanket & put it in an ice chest.
Dinner was at 6:00 pm. The brisket was great!!!
1436985d1409525077-18-hours-17-5-lb-brisket-tn_pict0220.jpg
1436993d1409525077-18-hours-17-5-lb-brisket-tn_pict0222.jpg
1437001d1409525077-18-hours-17-5-lb-brisket-tn_pict0235.jpg
1437009d1409525077-18-hours-17-5-lb-brisket-tn_pict0238.jpg

Last edited:
Brisket looks great! Nice bark and smoke ring! 13 hrs! I was closest at 15. Do I win anything? Good work!

Actually.... by my math, you were off by 15 minutes. Stop by sometime for a beer or two.
You know - I was in terror because the temperature of the meat was not close to 200*, but it probed like "buttah".
So I went with the "cook until fork tender" maxim.

Great looking brisket! That bark is awesome and what a smoke ring! I would like to understand the usr of rib rack to hold the packer. How long did you rest it? From 2 pm to 6 pm ? Did it become dryer because of this long rest in your opinion?

Great looking brisket! That bark is awesome and what a smoke ring! I would like to understand the usr of rib rack to hold the packer. How long did you rest it? From 2 pm to 6 pm ? Did it become dryer because of this long rest in your opinion?

Thank you.
The brisket was too big to fit on the grill (WSM 18.5)
Yes, it rested for 4 hours. I'm not sure how much moisture was lost. It wasn't foiled during the cook & there was a lot of drippings in the diffuser (1/4" steel plate w/ a 1" rim). It was real "jiggly" when I took it off the cooker- almost like jello! There was next to no juice in the foil when it was unwrapped for serving. The meat was tender ("could cut it with a fork" a guest commented), but not real moist. It was 90* at dinnertime, so I was careful to not slice too much meat, so the remains didn't dry out completely.

Last edited:

Back