ABT idea

WillieWilliams

Doing a round of smoking for a friend this weekend. I have a real hankering for ABTs and wanted to bring some along. However, my friend's restrictive diet excludes gluten, dairy and soy products. I had an idea for an alternate recipe for ABTs using hummus instead of cheese.

Anyone try something like this and have any feedback before I try it?

I haven't. However, all you can do is try it and see how it turns out. For cheese and soy-free cheese substitutes, try here or here

Last edited:
What if you just put some Tofu in them? Or I would just make them without filling and just wrapped the pepper in bacon.

Maybe make a filling out of sausage, onions, garlic, and spinach. Stuff the peppers with that before wrapping in bacon...

Regards,

John

who says you have to stick with the norm...?
My neighbors daughter made "her" version of ABTs filled with PEANUT BUTTER then dipped in GRAPE JAM.
They tasted AWESOME!
I made some last week stuffed with cucumber...

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Fat fingers - should read "soy/dairy free". Thanks for catching that! BTW, my diaghter is dairy intolerant and the soy cheeses are awful and the dairy free are horrid.

About your daughter: us non-food-restricted people don't know how lucky we are to be able to eat what we want without fear of some bad or even life-threatening reaction.

This came up b-4 when the OP on another thread didn't care for cream cheese. Someone suggested mashed potatoes, just omit the milk and butter and use EVOO and roasted garlic.
I like the Hummus idea.
Tim

This came up b-4 when the OP on another thread didn't care for cream cheese. Someone suggested mashed potatoes, just omit the milk and butter and use EVOO and roasted garlic.
I like the Hummus idea.
Tim

EVOO and garlic sound like a match in heaven. Try to taste b4 u serve but sounds like a winner to me. Make sure you test the 'consistency' of the filling b4 serving the final product.

Thanks to everyone who added some ideas! I was not happy with the quality of the jalepenos available, so I ended up skipping the ABTs this time. But these ideas have gotten me excited to try them, I will endeavor to do so as time permits. I'll be certain to follow up with the results.

Something else I learned this weekend that might be helpful to someone seeing this in the future... apparently goat cheese is not part of "dairy free". Seems it is missing the protein that causes the problems so it can be used without concern. I will come up with a recipe for this as well and will be certain to share it with everyone.

Thanks again.

Ah, goat cheese. I think that was an option in the other thread.
Keep us updated with what you come up with because I would like to use them in an upcoming BBQ.

Tim

Back