Super Jumbo

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So just returned from a two week vacation in South Dakota with my parents and our close friends. Since we would be camping the whole time and typically I do most the cooking I decided I needed a tad bit more real estate then I have on my SJP. The day before we left I sawed the legs off of an old 22.5 silver I gifted to work and swapped the ash pan off an 18. Here is the results:

superjumbo_zpsb75d513d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next step now that we are back is to add a slide a side lid holder. Thinking on getting the lid holder off a 26.75 that could act as a lid holder and then flipped up to hold the whole thing n place for moving around.

Was fun to cook on in camp. Was able to cook two pork loins indirect and fried taters on the skillet with enough room to warm the French bread. Looks funny with the short little legs but I love it!

With the legs shortened the grill would seem to be a lot less stable... Did you notice any tippyness?

Be carefull with that, especially if there are kids around. Knocking the grill over could really ruin your day.

Weber dealt with that on their small grills with different leg designs; you might be able to rig something similar.

Looks neat though and I bet it was great to cook on.

It was a little tippy when I hung the lid off the the side by the hook since the lid was taller than the bowl and legs I had to get it real close to the edge of the table top. I am going to add the slide aside lid holder so you make a great point on being careful of it tipping over with the short legs. I can see the lid really throwing the balance off when in the holder. Guess I better design a few feet to attach to those little legs. Thought about the Cajun bandit legs or ordering the legs from weber used on the WSM. I built this thing the day before we left, so it was a quick job and not a lot of thought. I was fun to cook on so now I'll fine tune it for next camp season.

So I am back on this project again. Been thinking on the leg issue that Tom brought up. Got to thinking about the Cajun bandit 22.5 smoker conversion kit and it hit me...legs designed and built to go on the kettle to complete the smoker conversion. Ordered this weekend and the legs will be here on Friday (along with a SS door and coal ring for my 18 WSM :) ). Any way will update with pics but now I really need to decide how to deal with the lid and potentially carrying. I got three ideas and would love some thoughts.
- purchase a slide-a-side for the lid no carrying capabilities
- purchase an unknown BBQ kettle hinge and rig a way to attach the other side for carrying capabilities
- mimick my SJP just bigger and buy a 26.75 lid bail, SJP bail holder and slotted lid handle and have both carrying capability and lid holder (though the lid holder works so so on my SJP)

What do you all think? Thanks

So I am back on this project again. Been thinking on the leg issue that Tom brought up. Got to thinking about the Cajun bandit 22.5 smoker conversion kit and it hit me...legs designed and built to go on the kettle to complete the smoker conversion. Ordered this weekend and the legs will be here on Friday (along with a SS door and coal ring for my 18 WSM :) ). Any way will update with pics but now I really need to decide how to deal with the lid and potentially carrying. I got three ideas and would love some thoughts.
- purchase a slide-a-side for the lid no carrying capabilities
- purchase an unknown BBQ kettle hinge and rig a way to attach the other side for carrying capabilities
- mimick my SJP just bigger and buy a 26.75 lid bail, SJP bail holder and slotted lid handle and have both carrying capability and lid holder (though the lid holder works so so on my SJP)

What do you all think? Thanks

How about some draw latches?

Last edited:
Looks great, but what about portability?
From your earlier posts you were going to look into locking down the lid to the bowl to carry it all together.
Can you measure how tall this is with the lid on?
I'd love to see if it can fit in a car trunk.
How much the Cajun Bandit legs set you back?

Walt right now I am carrying by the legs and it is heavy. With the lid off it sits at 19.5 inches if I hang it on the hook in the lid the bottom of the lid just touches the ground.

Back