My First Pork Butt on a WSM is Done

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

For the prep and cook you can revisit this thread:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54349-Tomorrows-Cook-Pork-Butt

The Butt hit 190-degrees almost at the 12-hour mark. It was super tender and delicious. It stalled for about three hours. As a result I learned a lot:

- The 22.5 WSM can take a whole 20-pound bag of Kingsford. Best to put it all in just in case. I estimate that a full bag will easily burn for 15 hours or more.
- This pork butt was 9.5 pounds and it took 12-hours on the dot. It shrank by half.
- I pushed the temp to 275 degrees in the last hour to get the temp to 190. In retrospect I could have done that sooner. The hotter temp is not a problem for a pork butt.
- A full pan of water in the 22.5 WSM will last for a whole cook easy.

So here's the pork after I pulled it from the smoker:
i-TdNmzkf-XL.jpg

All pulled and cleaned. I saved part of the "money muscle" for slices:
i-rxdsh33-XL.jpg

And finally plated. We went simple "diner style" with french fries and homemade coleslaw:
i-6X8SHPv-XL.jpg

It was so tender, moist and delicious. Great smoke flavor as well. Success :).

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

Last edited:
Texture, moisture, bark…all looks great, Jose. Your first pork butt came way better than my first.

Looks fantastic and congrats on a successful Pork Butt. Cooked my first successful butt myself a few weeks ago, and I know exactly how you feel right now!!! Revel in your victory!!!

Last edited:
That pork butt looks awesome! PP looks moist too. Well done! Just to understand. 1 full water pan last for whole cook. Wich pan are you speaking about ? The WSM or a disposable? May be a pic would help.
Thanks

That pork butt looks awesome! PP looks moist too. Well done! Just to understand. 1 full water pan last for whole cook. Wich pan are you speaking about ? The WSM or a disposable? May be a pic would help.
Thanks

Thanks Enrico. Yes the water in the pan will last the whole 12 hours. It is the pan that came with the WSM 22.5. It takes two gallons of water. What happens is that at a certain point there is enough fat on the water surface in the pan the it slows evaporation. This makes the water last a lot longer.

Here is a picture of the pan. The cook lasted for 12-hours but the fire ran for 18-hours. There is still a third of the water left:
i-hkmRtkc-XL.jpg

Ugly mess right? Well it's really easy to clean. The bottom is foiled so it's perfect on that side. For all the fat you just need this:
i-Rg4XNhL-XL.jpg

Put the ice in the pan and scrape the soft fat from the edges with the fryer spoon wait at least 20-minutes:
i-VTvcBx7-XL.jpg

Twenty minutes later the water and the fat are at 32-degrees F. The fat is congealed so just pick it up with the fryer spoon and dump it in the gallon zip-lock bag.
i-sZQC5Dh-XL.jpg

After that just rinse the pan and scrub with a sponge. Done :). No fat in the drain pipes, the yard, etc.

Thanks again,

Jose

Jose if thats your first I want to see the next one, it should be out of the park. Fantastic job for sure.

Dang that all looks good, good bark and well plated, are you sure this is your first? Nicely done my friend!

Back