Alternative case layout idea

JIves

TVWBB Member
I'm wrapping up my build and am (other than the header to connect to the raspberry pi which I somehow forgot to order so now I live in agony while I wait).

Although for this build I'm going very directly "stock" I intend to do another build with a few alterations, namely to the layout of the controller in a case.

For my purposes I think the ideal layout is more of a box that lays on it's largest side with the display on the "front" (what would effectively be the top of the current case design).

My plan would be to basically do everything as is with the "stock" design with a few exceptions:

1. Using a cable to connect the display, this will allow me to easily place the display in the case wherever I need it: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/1x16-idc-interface-cable-p-6455.html looks like a good option presuming I can find them.

2. I was thinking of using 4 small push switches and doing more of a directional keypad approach over the "joystick" style control today. That would be simple enough to make a small board for that could easily be securely mounted to the inside of the case. There are thousands of switch options with this route, I just have to dig around and find one that would support the layout I'd want.

Has anyone approached anything like this? I've been lurking here and reading a lot but haven't noticed it elsewhere.

Finally, huge thanks to Bryan and everyone else here, you've all been a massive help to me without even knowing it, thanks to all the great info here and on github.

I am this case http://www.okwenclosures.com/products/okw/datec-mobil/zoom/zA9075219.jpg

I had to modify it to fit my screen and I'm making it waterproof (I hope). I haven't fisihed it and am waiting until it's working before I create a post with details and pics of it.

Here is the front panel layout
YwVzoah.jpg

Interesting, if you rotate everything on that panel 90 degrees and center it you're in the realm of what I'm thinking of. Basically I like the idea of the device being fundamentally stable because it's always laying on the broadest surface. Also I see putting a handle that can double as a foot that would elevate the front of it as logical, still very stable and points the screen up at me a bit more.

By the way if I was to waterproof I'd use gaskets on all the enclosure joints then consider sealing the outside with Rustoleum Never-Wet

By the way if I was to waterproof I'd use gaskets on all the enclosure joints then consider sealing the outside with Rustoleum Never-Wet

Have you used the Rustoleum Never-Wet? Looking for a first hand experience because I looked around on the web and found many people saying it didn't work well or at all. I like the idea of it but am not willing to try right now.

Last edited:
No display, only 3 probes and only 2 LED's in a box just big enough to fit the RPI and a V4.0 board, I like simple designs.

PietRMeterV20-1.jpg

(The 4th probe and the 3rd LED can be added when I feel that I need them)

Back