Target clearance

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
I was at target and found a 22.5" one touch silver. Most of their other BBQ stuff was half off but I couldn't find the price on this one. Eventually I saw it was $49.98, regularly $99.99. Had to have it. It's in the garage now. :)

Great deal! Picked up a Jumbo Joe yesterday for $41.xx. I had been keeping an eye on them and finally put them on clearance. Put her together last night. Only bad thing is the lady is making me get rid of my SJ. :( So I made a deal with her. Next time we take a trip to my Mom's I will take the SJ with me and it will live there. I had my fingers crossed behind my back. :eek:

ABQ Targets also have the Jumbo Joe on clearance--$41.95. They also had 22 and 18" replacement grates with the flip-up ends for 13 and change. I grabbed a Stok pizza insert for 5 bucks off. I have the Stok cast iron grate on my Performer so that was a nice find.

Your Target deals are better than mine here! I finally bought a 22" silver grill today for 69.99 on clearance. It was the last one they had. And I got the grill cover for $6. Now to figure out how to grill with charcoal instead of propane....

Went to the Medford Target on Fri. Picked up a Jumbo Joe for $29.98, a 22.5 hinged grate for 13.98, and a 18.5 hinged grate for the Jumbo Joe for $8.98. Not a bad deal! They also had the Smokey Joe on clearance too. I think the price was 20.98

Last edited:
Its funny with the different targets. I went to one close to work on Thursday and picked up the Jumbo for 29.98. On Saturday I went to one close to home and they had them for 41. Go figure.

So, after a soft-promise to clean up the garage before I got this grill out of the box, ...turns out we wanted to eat (charcoal-) grilled food more than we wanted to clean the garage. (Plus, I'd earlier scrapped my day's plans for a family furniture shopping trip...) The half-price OTS went together pretty quickly, and except for one slice on my finger, pretty easily. (I have no idea how it got cut. Nothing seemed sharp. I just noticed the tip of my finger was stinging and I looked down and it was "leaking".)

For its christening it was chuck eyes, probably-the-first-time-I've-ever-eaten Grilled Asparagus, and baked potatoes. Since I was the lucky winner of some Mansmith Rubs, I used the "Grilling Spice" on the steak, a little (too much?) oil and salt on the 'Gus, and a couple pats of butter and a dash of salt on the potatoes (before wrapping in foil). I timed the steak and 'gus about right, but underestimated the potatoes. A few minutes in the microwave later for the potates while the steak "rested", and everything was DELICIOUS.

I need to work on building/arranging the fire just a little better. (I need those li'l charcoal baskets I think I saw on sale recently.) My only other tweak would be to start the chimney BEFORE my daughter's bedtime routine rather than after. (Reading 3 chapters didn't help ...but I don't really regret that either.) I'm used to waiting for the charcoal to be ready when it comes time to smoke, but coming from a gas grill, waiting for charcoal when you're hungry's tough!

Now its back to work.

Yeah,Target clearance is how I got my OTS. IIRC,I paid $65. Been a while,ya know? I went by a couple yesterday looking for 18" cooking grates. Sold out at both. :(

Swung by the Target closest to my house and Cha Ching !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saw a display model Jumbo Joe that was tagged @ $25.xx Was about to buy it when I saw two new ones in the box. Checked the clearance sticker on those and they said $17.98!!!!. Grabbed them in a heartbeat. Also picked up two 18.5 hinged grates for $5.38 each.

While scoring, a woman came up and was looking at the Jumbo as well some SJS's that were marked down to $25. I advised that she get the Jumbo Joe, and that the price should be even less than what was on the sticker, given that the two I had were $17.98. She ended up putting it in her cart and she also happily bought a hinged grate that I told her about. We ended up going up to the front to check out together. My transaction went through with no problem, then I stood and waited for her's to ring up. Cashier scanned the clearance tag and it still came up $25.xx. I told the cashier that this couldn't be right, as mine were new in box for less, while her's was an open box display model. I asked her if she could just scan the UPC on my box instead. Well, of course, she was all confused and called a supervisor over. Up walks some 17 year old kid and I explain the situation. He looks at her grill, compares it to the pics on my box and gives the OK to scan my barcode. I then pointed out that the price I paid was for new in box, and that her's was a display/open box model, and then asked whether or not she should get an additional discount. The kid shrugs and says "Yeah, that makes sense" and took an additional 10% off. The woman buying the Jumbo was happy and thanked me for helping.

End result for me was 2 Jumbo Joe's with additional hinged grates for $23.35 each +tax

Last edited:

Back