Dry Aging Beef?

Robert.K

Does anyone here dry age their beef at home? I'm currently experimenting sith about ~15lbs of bone-in rib roast from a retailer (not 'fresh') so it was vacuum-packed, which passes for 'wet aging' in some circles. I'm wondering if the 'aging' in the bag counts for anything for the purposes of estimating how long we should age the beef, or if I should not factor for it. In other words, if I want a 28 day (4 week) aging, do I back off one week because the meat was in the package for at least that long before I got it, or does the 'wet aging' have no impact where this is concerned?

The most important thing is having a fridge that keeps a very constant 34 degrees. I have aged brisket for 45 days that was vac sealed and Kevin Kruger has aged them up to 6 months. Yes I said 6 months. I even emailed him and asked if I read his post right and he confirmed it.

Those are the instructions I'm using now. Just wondering if any adjustment to time is recommended for beef that's vacuum packed for retail.

From what I understand, part of the reason to dry age meat is to lose some water and concentrate the flavor. There are a few (probably many) posters here who probably know a bunch....might want to check the Charcuterie forum. J Besinger (sp?) and Dave from Denver both have curing chambers, and IIRC, I've seen Bill Shultz dry age steaks in his fridge....a little different than what you're asking. I think I'd emphasize the dry aging process over the wet.

Here's how they do it at a local grocer near me (Harmon's):

10603381_10202640388912811_1868719617588596637_n.jpg

Back