Any ideas on how to cook this???

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Saw this at my Asian market. I see lots of potential. Any ideas on how to cook this?

Thank you

Personally, I'd pass. Similar to what you get when buying soup bones-->not much meat.

Those bones are whats left over after cutting up a whole loin to get b.b. and a whole boneless loin (cut in half you get a boneless 'rib end' loin roast and a boneless sirloin roast) . Sure there is some meat but you're better off getting a butt.

You see the vertical cuts at the bottom of the pic? Those are the "top" of the b.b ribs, right where they join the chine (back bone).

Pass on that purchase Tony.

Last edited:
If you're intent on getting it because it's cheap, try this experiment first:

get a one lb package (smallest you can find). Trim off ALL the meat you can find. Weigh that meat. Compare the price you paid (meat and bones) to how much meat you actually get. Betcha it'll be $8-$9 a pound at least.

You can use this meat however you use trimmings (in beans, etc).

Last edited:
Mom used to make rib pie. She would braise ribs until the meat fell off the bone, pick it, make gravy out of the braising liquid, and then bake everything in a pastry shell. This looks like a candidate for a similar treatment. Slow braising would coax the flavor out of the connective tissue and bone while cooking and releasing the delicious bits of meat.

Once braised you could decide whether to turn it into a stew or a pie or some other shredded meat delight.

Len, sometimes the challenge is to produce something amazing from humble beginnings.

Len, sometimes the challenge is to produce something amazing from humble beginnings.

I would agree 100% if it was something you wouldn't ordinarily eat (like possum, tripe, etc).

I stand by my "experiment" post. That two pound pkg of bones wouldn't have enough meat to make a hamburger let alone stew or a pie.

P.S. C'mon back Tony, tell us your decision ;)

Last edited:
Oxtails used to be scrap, what the butchers threw away, nowadays try to buy that for cheap..
Bones equal flavor, and the collagen adds richness and body to a dish. Posozle is a bone stew, and cuts from the neck, spine, rib will work, but you should add some chunk-ed shoulder to that, and to a stew.

Tim

I would agree 100% if it was something you wouldn't ordinarily eat (like possum, tripe, etc).

I stand by my "experiment" post. That two pound pkg of bones wouldn't have enough meat to make a hamburger let alone stew or a pie.

P.S. C'mon back Tony, tell us your decision ;)

Thanks everyone.
I need to go back to the Asian store I saw them at.

My first instinct was to make it in chile verde or Pozole. Was hoping someone had cooked it or had a recipe.

Thanks everyone.
I need to go back to the Asian store I saw them at.

My first instinct was to make it in chile verde or Pozole. Was hoping someone had cooked it or had a recipe.

I think you are on the right track , Tony. this is not a cut you buy to get meat from. this is something you use to flavor a dish. I bet if you roast those bones for a bit and then braise them in liquid of some kind or put them in beans they will give up some mega flavor.

I think you are on the right track , Tony. this is not a cut you buy to get meat from. this is something you use to flavor a dish. I bet if you roast those bones for a bit and then braise them in liquid of some kind or put them in beans they will give up some mega flavor.

That's a great idea also. I was thinking something like that also.

Back