Old Kitchen Knife Restoration Project

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
A few weeks ago, I met the family of my brother's girlfriend for the first time, and I instantly clicked with his girlfriend's dad. First and foremost, he's really into grilling and BBQ and owns a Weber Performer, so that in itself makes him cool in my book. After talking a bunch about BBQ, the conversation topic somehow switched over to kitchen knives. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a bit of a kitchen knife junkie -- I'm mostly into custom-made Japanese knives and hand-sharpening is a hobby of mine. So anyway, the dad showed me an old Sabatier carbon-steel chefs knife that had been sitting in his kitchen drawer, and it was in pretty rough shape, as shown in the first photo below. I told him I'd like to attempt to restore it, as I've always been fascinated by old Sabatier knives. He pretty much told me to have at it, so I took the old knife home with me. The photos below show the restoration process from start to finish. I really enjoyed working on this project, and today I gave the restored knife to my brother to give to his girlfriend's dad...I hope he likes the results. Thanks for checking out the photos!

The knife in its original state. Lots of rust, and dull as a butter knife.

Rust removal consisted of some sanding, followed by some Flitz metal polish. Even after rust removal, there was still considerable pitting in the metal.

Since carbon steel can be very reactive, I decided to "antique" the blade rather than try and make it look like a new knife. To do this, I created a "forced patina" where I dabbed on globs of plain yellow mustard onto the blade. The acid in the mustard reacts with the carbon steel, as shown by the dark rings forming around the mustard globs.

After several iterations of applying mustard and cleaning the blade, the knife ended up with a "multilayered" patina as shown below. Depending on what angle the blade is viewed from, the patina can look blue, gray, or even brownish -- a very cool visual effect. One other nice thing about having the "forced" patina is that it passivates the carbon steel's surface, making it less reactive during actual use in the kitchen, and also making it less susceptible to rusting. I sharpened the knife starting with a 1000 grit Japanese water-stone to reset the bevel, then worked my way up all the way to a 16,000 grit stone which leaves a mirror finish on the blade edge.

The final before-and-after comparison.

Nice work! I hope he appreciates the effort that went into that project. 0TOH, I'm sure you derived immeasureable enjoyment from a job well done. I'm learning the art of sharpening on stones so know some of what you did.

Last edited:
Very nice work Jerome! I wish I had your patience. Knife sharping is becoming a lost art. When I was a kid a little old Italian man pushed a cart around the neighborhood once in awhile and my mom would give us the knives to take to him. Razor sharp when he was done! Now I can't find anybody! How do you tell if it is "Carbon Steel" if it doesn't say it on the blade?

Very nice job! I dig the patina!
Uncle Sam taught me to use a sharpening stone years ago. I can put a decent edge on a knife. I just need to teach Pammi some better knife skills so she won't cut herself when she uses them!

What a great thing to do for him Jerome! Knife looks great and he'll know just how much effort you put into that. Very nice.

How do you tell if it is "Carbon Steel" if it doesn't say it on the blade?

First, thanks to everyone for all the generous compliments…very flattering.

Tim: Carbon steel discolors (and rusts) much more easily stainless, so if you cut into something acidic for example, the areas of the blade which made contact with the food will darken.

Back