Best gas grill for the Elderly?

Greg Y

TVWBB Pro
We plan to buy my parents a new gas grill for Christmas this year. They keep buying cheap Chinese grills that last a couple of years. They are in their seventies and my dad has problems with his shoulders and knees. My mom has new knees and she gets around fine, but she's not very strong. She does grill quite regularly.
At first I was thinking Genesis all the way, but then I thought about the difficulty they would have moving it around (it would have to be rolled up and down the concrete ramp onto and off of their raised carport). They leave it under the carport most of the time but do roll it out to make room for tables and such during family get-togethers.

My siblings and I do host some gatherings, but my mom still insists on doing many of them at their place. She has never done anything fancy on the grill, just burgers, chicken, sausage cooked with direct heat.

I am now trying to decide between a Genesis EP330 and a Q3200. Price is not going to affect the decision in any way. I know they would have trouble rolling the new Genesis up and down the ramp, but for some reason they always get a grill with a side burner, so they might miss that if we get them a Q. I don't remember her ever using the side burner, I'll try to find out if that is important.

Have you ever had to choose a grill for older folks? Which would you suggest?

I think LP tank changes should be the biggest consideration. Whichever grill made that the easiest, would be the grill I'd choose......even if it weren't a Weber. If mobility is an important element in the decision, the Genesis should definitely be disqualified. I'd be looking at the Spirit vs the Q. you can also consider installing better casters on whichever grill you choose, which would make it easier to push around.

If the side burner is a consideration, than Genesis, but speaking as someone who is getting older, I have to say I like my Q3200 very much. It has big knobs, simple operation, and is easy to clean. I have the griddle on half of it and use that almost as much as I do the grill, for things like potatoes. It's nice to do home fries and hamburgers at the same time, in the same place and not heat up the house.

I am now trying to decide between a Genesis EP330 and a Q3200. Price is not going to affect the decision in any way. I know they would have trouble rolling the new Genesis up and down the ramp, but for some reason they always get a grill with a side burner, so they might miss that if we get them a Q. I don't remember her ever using the side burner, I'll try to find out if that is important.

Have you ever had to choose a grill for older folks? Which would you suggest?

My opinion the Q3200 it's much easier to maintain cleaning wise and lighter of the two.

Unless a side burner is an absolute must, I would definitely recommend the Q over the Genesis, given your description. The Q's are easy to use and maintain and use lighter parts than a Genesis. Wheeled carts are available for the Q, as well. Depending on how many people your parents are cooking for, I would recommend considering the Q1200 or Q2200. They can use the smaller propane tanks, making them easier to move around.

The lid on the 300 series Genesis is pretty hefty and has a long travel distance. Even my 30 years young girl friend did not like having to deal with the Genesis lid. I would consider a Spirit 200/300 as well. They're lighter than the Genesis and are still serviceable. The advantage of the Spirit over the Q is the side burner and having the propane tank stored on the cart, making it easier to move around.

Last edited:
I would be looking at the Spirit. They are available in 2, 3 or 3 plus side burner configuration.

According to Consumer Reports they are great cookers and get their highest marks.

Frankly I would not even consider the "Q" series. They are a royal PIA to move (regardless of cart) compared to a Genesis. My own 89 YO dad moves his just fine in and out of garage. The Q carts only have 2 wheels, and they are very ungainly to move. Look too at other quality grills on carts also. Some are easier to move than others. Case in point, my 650 LB Wolf glides around very easily compared to my Weber(s). Though not saying you need to go out and buy a $10k grill. Just I would not stop at Weber. Check out others like Broilmaster, MHP, what have you. Some of these have better carts than Weber. But if they have trouble for heaven's sake avoid the Q.

I'm not a fan of the newer Weber (08-14) grill casters. The older grills, with 8" wheels on one end are much easier to move around.
I use my tailgate for the Q so I can't comment on their cart. ;)

I have to say that if they have a side burner now they would miss it on the new one. We use ours alot - especially in the summer when heating up the house to cook a side has to happen.

Yep that's what I'm saying. It is VERY awkward to move and if they have to roll it out and back they'll quickly tire of that. The handle to lift the side of the grill is under the grill handle (which you would think the grill handle would be the logical lift point) not. Lift the grill handle and the grill lifts off the cart. Unless Weber has designed a way to firmly attach the grill to the cart (not just "rest" on it) you have to contort your arm to lift the cart to move it. It's awkward for a younger person. My 88 YO dad moves his Genesis easily in and out of the garage. And he has his side burner.

I still believe the lid on the Genesis will be difficult/tiresome for them to open/close. If you haven't already, run to a Lowe's or HD. They typically have these grills on display. I found that the Broil King Baron had about the easiest lid to open and close, ]when compared to the Spirit and Genesis. I'm not sure about the wheel/caster arrangement.

Last edited:
LMichaels,

You're describing the cart for the smaller 1200 and 2200. The 3200 is firmly attached to the cart. It moves from the side, not the front. It takes no contortion at all. You just pick up the end opposite the wheels and roll it around like a push cart.

A four caster set up might be easier, but then you have to lock and unlock, which may or may not be as easy as a toe flip...depending on your toes.

Jeff,
That's what I was thinking, the 3200 looks like a dream to move around.
The four tiny casters on the Spirit/Genesis/Summit line would not work for them. The ramp down to the driveway is too steep with a relatively large step at the bottom.

Hmm...the Genesis lids are heavy. I am such a manly man that I didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out. The pivot point is waaay back there, making it hard to lift.
The Spirit has a lighter lid, and I like that the side tables fold down, but they don't give you much confidence when lifting up on them to move the grill. Really flimsy.
I am looking into the Broil King, but they are hard to find down here. I found a Baron at Lowes, but it has the small casters. I will go out tomorrow and try to find a Broil King with the big wheels on one side and a Weber Q3200.

The Broil King Signet has the larger wheels, but the lid does not move as nicely as the Baron. I do believe the Signet tables are foldable, as well.

It takes about 5.1 kg ~12 lbs (just measured using my digital fish scale) to lift the lid on a Genesis Gold C. The size of a nice Boston Butt. :)

Back