1993 Weber Genesis 1000 Redhead - Need restoring tips

Brian Slominski

Hi Everyone, my name is Brian and I am a Weber addict. I have a friend that is moving into a house for the first time in his life. I encouraged him to get a Weber. Short on money we found a great 1993 Weber Genesis 1000 with red top. It has all stainless internals. The grill itself is in good working condition but looks terrible as it was stored outside in the Northwest it's entire life.

The first thing we are going to do is break it all down and clean it. We would like to repaint all the parts, excluding the red top, and put in some new pieces of wood. First question what is the perfect paint for the box? What is the perfect paint for the rails? Lastly what is the perfect wood and stain to use?

I am very particular about paint and want it to look just right. I don't want a paint that is too dull or too shiny.

Also, if you have any cleaning tips I would love to hear them. We are thinking a wire wheel and brush for most of the inside. I do have access to a sandblasting cabinet and had thought of sand blasting the stainless steel parts for a real nice surface.

We will likely get all new stainless steel nuts and bolts. Is it ok to paint the inside of the box?

Thanks so much for your help!

I've read and been told that it's not a good idea to paint the inside of the box. The heat will break down the paint and there's a risk of fumes getting into your food. If you want to season the inside, spray a light coat of PAM on the inside walls occasionally and then wipe down. Over time, this will blacken and keep the inside seasoned as you cook.

I'll let others chime in the exterior paint and stain.

Welcome to the forum Brian. I've rehabbed a number of gassers so I enjoy when others want to take on the task. :)
They're pretty simple machines once you get into it. Ask any questions here and you'll most likely get a response from experience.

For cleaning... I have a big rubbermaid type container I use to soak as much as I can. Dawn dish soap and a long soak goes a long way for cleaning. For things like the burner tubes, I'll use 80 - 100 grit sandpaper followed by a small eyeglass screwdriver to clear the burner ports.

I've painted a few cook boxes and frames. For the frame, I brushed/sanded as much rust as I could, scratched the rest of the frame with sandpaper, used big box store primer & semi-gloss black rattle can paint. Turned out very nice. The cookbox I've done a couple ways. Easy Way - use BBQ paint from the big box store. It dries in an hour and looks decent. Real flat paint with a gray hue to it. Harder Way - bought high-temp paint & primer from Auto Zone. After spraying, it has to dry something like 7 days followed by curing with heat. I just put it back together and fired it up following (as close as I could) to the time & temp directions on the can. I think it gave a nicer finish & color (semi gloss black) but it's harder to work with. On my personal Genesis C rehab - I used regular ol' BBQ paint. (Tip --- disassemble the end panels from the red lid for a much easier cleaning & painting process. 7/16 wrench.)

Remember, these are grills and not some early 60's muscle car restoration. Don't paint the inside of the box! Would you paint your food? After a few cooks, it'll look like crap anyways. :) SS nuts & bolts is a good idea where you can. Not necessary in every case, but this is your rehab.

If you need a source for replacement wood, ask this guy. He's the best I know. lmao (It's me)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/i-got-wood-genesis-wood-that-is/

Keep us posted to the rehab,

Bman

I have also restored a few Bs and 1000s. Chad covered it pretty well and like he said don't paint the inside of the box. I used high temp paint for the box and regular gloss black for the frame. I did my 1000LX about 5 years ago and it still looks great.

Thanks so much for the input guys! I have a 2010 Weber Genesis SS that I absolutely love. I got a steal on it from a big box store out of season. I use it several times a week all winter long. In the summer I usually use my blue charcoal Weber.

Picking up this Redhead has turned out to be really great. I have read in a few places that people believe this was the best design from Weber. I was shocked to see dual flavorizors and thought it was a great idea.

The best part about the adventure was driving out to Carnation to pick it up. It was almost an hour drive, but it was free. When we got there I found out it was Kurt Cobain's house!

Upon inspection it was in really sad shape. The bottom of the box has completely deteriorated. I'm not sure if that can be fixed. The frame is also in really bad shape. When we got home from the trip my friend looked on CL again and found one 15 minutes away. It was $50 and in amazing shape. I'll probably shop a little more and see if I can restore both. They are simply amazing!

That was a great idea about seasoning the inside of the box. I do work on restoring Classic Mini's so I will take into consideration that it is a classic grill and not a classic car :)

I hope to be done in a week or two and will post pics. Thanks so much for your help.

VHT makes a roll bar and chassis paint I have used before and that might be great for the frame. I can't wait to see this all in pieces!

Actually it wasn't the dual layer of FBars but the deeper heavier fire box of the old design that was better. I actually have an old design one with a custom made single set of fbars in it and it way out performs the dual layer setup. Even Weber techs I spoke to when mine was new told me to simply remove the top layer of bars to get more even heat dispersion and performance. The ones I had made are large enough they come to the height of the second set of bars.

The deep firebox is precisely why I missed my old Genesis so much. I was able to take the top layer of flavorizer bars out and using the rotisserie, slow cook two big pork shoulders side by side for family get togethers. Now that I have another Genesis restored and ready to go, I can't wait to do some pulled pork! Now......where the heck did I put my rotisserie? :)

Brian, Do you think you may have Kurt's old grill? I used to live down the road a piece from his wife Courtney, mother I would see Courtney from time to time in the little country store, specially in the summer. What a piece of work she was.

Thanks so much for the input guys! I have a 2010 Weber Genesis SS that I absolutely love. I got a steal on it from a big box store out of season. I use it several times a week all winter long. In the summer I usually use my blue charcoal Weber.

Picking up this Redhead has turned out to be really great. I have read in a few places that people believe this was the best design from Weber. I was shocked to see dual flavorizors and thought it was a great idea.

The best part about the adventure was driving out to Carnation to pick it up. It was almost an hour drive, but it was free. When we got there I found out it was Kurt Cobain's house!

Upon inspection it was in really sad shape. The bottom of the box has completely deteriorated. I'm not sure if that can be fixed. The frame is also in really bad shape. When we got home from the trip my friend looked on CL again and found one 15 minutes away. It was $50 and in amazing shape. I'll probably shop a little more and see if I can restore both. They are simply amazing!

That was a great idea about seasoning the inside of the box. I do work on restoring Classic Mini's so I will take into consideration that it is a classic grill and not a classic car :)

I hope to be done in a week or two and will post pics. Thanks so much for your help.
?
VHT makes a roll bar and chassis paint I have used before and that might be great for the frame. I can't wait to see this all in pieces!

Did you get the one bottom rusted fix? I see one for $50 and considering purchase to restore, but not sure what got rusted and how hard it is to find replacement parts.

Back