Pitmaster iq110 on SJG WSM build?

Jay P

Hello, I am new to this site and I am currently in the process of building a mini WSM out of a SJG and the Vasconia pot. I have read almost every post in this forum. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on attaching some sort of fan to their WSM. I apologize if this has been covered. If it was I must've missed it. I have a pit master iq110 and was thinking I could thread a nipple through one of the side vents on my SJG to attach the hose while blocking the other three off. I was also planning on a charcoal basket with expanded metal wrapped around the charcoal grate. Is this a dumb idea or would it be worth it? Thanks in advance.

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. I have an iq110 also but I've only used it on my 22.5. It should work fine though. But you might want to give it a try without it first, since the Minis settle in to temp real well and are very efficient on their own. As for the basket, I have not made one yet for my Mini because of the shallow/angled sides of the charcoal bowl I think I can get more briqs in it without one. Just be sure to keep the area in front of the side vents clear on the Gold. Don't forget to introduce yourself over here.

Thanks Doug. I'm going through overload trying to soak up all the valuable information on here. Lol!

Last edited:
The charcoal basket is one of the best things you can do to increase fuel efficiency in the mini. I started without one. Once I made one and used it I couldn't believe the difference. My first one I wired together with rebar ties. It lasted two years. My other two I welded. My last cook was a 9 pound butt that took 13 hours. I ran at 270 the entire time one load of Kingsford. The mini tan for another 4 hours then temps started to drop. All of my pots have the bottoms cut out so I can load them up fuller than if the pot still had it's bottom.

I have never used forced air. I do know of someone using the partyQ with the mini.

The charcoal basket is one of the best things you can do to increase fuel efficiency in the mini. I started without one. Once I made one and used it I couldn't believe the difference. My first one I wired together with rebar ties. It lasted two years. My other two I welded. My last cook was a 9 pound butt that took 13 hours. I ran at 270 the entire time one load of Kingsford. The mini tan for another 4 hours then temps started to drop. All of my pots have the bottoms cut out so I can load them up fuller than if the pot still had it's bottom.

I have never used forced air. I do know of someone using the partyQ with the mini.

Do you have a pic of your mini basket? I am in the process of building one and would love an example. Thanks!

Back