Mini-review: iCelsius Wireless BBQ Thermometer

Tom Golden

TVWBB Pro
Being a gadget guy and an IT type I was looking for a web-based/smartphone adaptable BBQ thermometer. There are seveal out there but I wanted LAN, Internet access and logging. And works with Android. I chanced upon Aginova's iCelsius line of thermometers. Aginova is a Swiss based outfit that also has US offices so http://www.icelsius.com/icelsius-wireless-summary-page.php (Note that Aginova also makes a pure plug-in thermometer for your iPhone but who wants to leave their phone outside for 18 hrs?) For about $130 bucks delivered to my cabin door, I received the iCelsius Wireless unit ( about 2" x 3" x 1/2") in a nice well built metal case. GLossy black. I also ordered the single BBQ probe for indoor oven use or just simple temp measures as well as the dual probe which has one pure temp and one sharp ended meat probe (although you could use them both on meat.

So, how does it work you ask? Like a dream! It is as simple as plugging in the probe, turning on the wireless box and then using your phone's wireless settings to connect to it. Download the free iCelcius app from Google Playstore or wherever you get Apple stuff and bang - you can read the probe9s) temps. Set upper and lower alarms and create line graphs. The real beauty is that to switch this over to web mode it is a simple menu choice and your 802 b/g/n router password to connect. Then you can read probe temps while you are out fishing in the boat for example! Or at work. (ugh). With a long cook, I can check in case my wife forgets to. ;) Lastly the wifi unit also logs the temperatures so you can save a log of the temps minute-by-minute if you like. Aginova claims the battery will last 6 hours; so far that seems conservative. To charge it, just plug the microUSB into a PC or any USB wall wart.

Bottom line is that so far I am totally impressed with this device. I hope it lasts because I can see it doing a lot of BBQing! Highly recommended.

Just a quick update with several cooks under my belt (or dome as the WSM case may be...). REALLY liking the temperature functions of the iCelsius unit. However, I used the dual SS cable probe yesterday for a wicked oak smoked prime rib roast and the heat shrink tubing off the probe inserted into the roast bubbled. :( I guess if I had let it cool completely before pulling it through the WSM gasket it might have healed itself. As a result it peeled off. I sent Aginova a note to ask why. I would have thought the heat shrink would handle 400F for a bit. I don't think it will make a diff in the long term, but it is not what I expected. I might just pick up some really high temp tubing or high temp RTV to seal the end where the cable enters the probe. Just something to watch for....

Tom,
How good is it at keeping pit temp? According to their webpage (which needs some help...some links error out), the iCelsius BBQ accuracy is +/- 2.7 degrees F from -22 up to 230. Seems like it may be off quite a bit the higher the pit temp. One part of their page states it can handle temps up to 450 degrees but another states 230 degrees (both being farenheit).
Is there a power supply that comes with it? Given the battery is to last 6 hours, if you do a pork butt or brisket, 6 hours is too short of a time frame for the battery when compared to the temps it can handle.

Dave

It seems to be very accurate on put and meat temps (dual probe). I tested it with a high res (13 bit) unit I have and it is very good; better than they say actually. IIRC they publsih accuracy charts on their site. YMMV. A degree or two probably will not matter as long as know what it is. We are cooking BBQ here, not meth. ;) The bit about 450F seems logical for a grill thermometer but as I mentioned the shrink tubing did not like ~400F. Waiting on Aginova for a response....

There is no power supply that comes with it but any Micro USB wall wart (like you use for charging an Android phone works very well). For main unconncected power I guess you could use one of those power packs like http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...gclid=COjxz5T3gcACFaY-MgodZkUAKw&gclsrc=aw.ds $16 bucks for 2600 mah. I _think_ the internal pack is likely 400-500 mah so that is a couple days aux power. But for an overnight cook I would just plug it into my Samsung charger. BTW, changing the sampling time for the probe will lengthen battery life considerably. Every 2-3 min should be more than enough.

Hey Tom-

Have you heard back from Aginova on the melted heat shrink issue?

I'm considering getting the wireless model. Any regrets or would you do it again?

Lastly, I thought I read that up to 4 probes can be attached. Is that right?

Thanks,
Mike

No I did not hear back. A bit of a disappointment. But I will call them. Not a huge deal as I can easily get some really high temp SW for a couple bucks. I think the iCelsius Wireless is an excellent device. AFAIK you can only have two probes attached at once. I bought a single probe and the dual BBQ and would do that if I was buying another unit.

Thanks Tom! I ordered the iCelsius Wireless unit that you reviewed. I only got the dual BBQ probe. Maybe a dumb question...but why would i need the single probe as well?

You might not need the single probe I did. I will use it when I am doing, say a couple of Boston Butts or mixed meats in my Cookshack Smokette. It was only one probe (plus the temp sensor for PID controller) so the single probe would be an add-on. Plus with the iCelsius I can monitor the temp while I am out running errands etc. since my wife seems to forget to check. LOL Also since I had to ship to Canada the brokerage charge was fixed so I though who does not need an extra probe? Enjoy you iCelsius.

Unfortunately Chris none of the useful BBQ devices or probes are available on Amazon.
Well, as I said, some iCelsius products are available. :) I see these, both the same I believe. They are the "pure plug-in thermometer" parts you referred to in your original post. If someone wanted to create a fancy Thermapen, this would do it.

iCelsius BBQ - Cooking Thermometer for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

Aginova iCelsius-BBQ 4.5" Stainless Steel BBQ/Cooking Thermometer

What I don't see is the iCelsius Wireless component with the dual meat probes. But things change quickly, the package may show up on Amazon at some point.

Little update on a couple things: Got a response back from Aginova. I guess my first email slipped through the cracks So support is on it. As for the melted shrink wrap here is what they say:
"For your other probe, the heat shrink is just there for looks. If it is removed, no real harm will come to the probe. The main thing to be careful of is the operating temperature. The operating temperature of the probe and lead is the same as the measurement range (250C or 482F Max). Exposing the probe or leads to temperatures exceeding these values could create problems"

Kinda wonder why they put it there in the first place but if you do not go above about 300 the shrink wrap should be fine. The upper limit is more than enough for any grilling/BBQ I will do.

Hey Tom-

I got my icelsius wireless with dual probe in and have been playing around with it on the iPad. It seems to work really well with all sorts of useful features. I haven't used it on a cook yet but that may change today!

Thanks again!

Cool! Hope it works well for you. It is pretty neat to be off in the boat fishing and also watching the temp of the WSM and a butt! Like who cares if the fish are biting if you have BBQ to come home to! LOL

Back