Bandana's Potato Salad

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
We really like the potato salad from Bandana's BBQ, and today's St Louis Post Dispatch had the recipe.
It takes 2 days to make, but is easy with simple ingredients.

Bandana's Potato Salad

Yield: 16 cups

5 pounds large red potatoes, skins on

2 ½ cups mayonnaise

2 cups sweet pickle relish

¾ cup minced yellow onion

¼ cup granulated sugar

1½ teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon white pepper

10 hard-cooked eggs

1. The day before serving, boil potatoes until tender, drain and cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish, onion, sugar, salt and pepper.
2. With a wire egg slicer, cut eggs in 2 directions into matchsticks. Place eggs on top of mayonnaise mixture but do not stir in. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. On serving day, gently stir eggs into mayonnaise mixture. Break potatoes into bite-size pieces, some bite-size, some smaller. Gently stir potatoes into mayonnaise-egg mixture, stirring just enough to coat potato pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 to 45 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
I just made up a batch today. I don't care for normal sweet pickle relish so used some Famous Dave's sweet & spicy dill relish and Mt Olive "deli style" bread & butter relish made with sea salt.
Tastes amazing so far.
Thank's Bob.

Tim

Glad you like it Tim.
I think overnight in fridge for the spuds is overkill, a few hrs. should be enough, as long as the're well cooled.

Agree with you Sir. Cooled the eggs & taters in an ice bath b-4 peeling and folded it all together.
Son#4 gave it a big thumbs up.

Tim

This one is a keeper!
A few things I did and found out where a 16oz (pint) jar of relish is almost a perfect two cups. Drain it well in a wire strainer, I didn't do it that way and the dressing was a little runny.
I used b-sized (salad) reds, faster to cook and cool than the large reds. Next time I'll add the taters while room temperature cool but not fridge cold. I think they absorb the flavor better while still rather warm.
Mixed together and an overnight chill is all this really needs. I think they go that extra step on cooling the potatoes & mayo separately because they serve it to the public.

Tim

Back