Spatchcock Chicken on the WSM

Rob (Allentown)

TVWBB Member
odays cook on the MWSM, was a spatchcock chicken. Rubbed with Old Bay Blachen Seasoning and a basic BBQ rub. Smoked over pecan and hickory.

Looks good, did you find that some of your skin is slimy? I have noticed when cooking for full chicken some of my skin becomes slimey or doesnt cook even though its been sititn on the smoker for well over four hours. Also I noticed it is hard for me to get any flavor outside of the bland chicken flavor in my meets. Possibly a brine would solve this problem, I have yet to try it.

Looks good Rob.

BJ, it's a common complaint to hear chicken skin does crisp when smoked. I recommend high heat around ~ 300-350*F. I've found that removing the water pan helps also.

Nice looking Spatchy! Bet it was tasty!!

BJ, when smoking chicken in the Mini, loose the water pan crank the heat! You'll get a crispy skin chicken, with smokey flavor. If you use sugar in your rub omit that. It will burn. A simple rub of salt pepper garlic onion paprika or chipotle, oh yeah! Everyone worries about high temp smokes drying birds out. All oven roasted/fried poultry is done at higher temps! Just saying...

Doug, thanks for the link. Ill check it out and see if I can smoke up some crispy chicken :). What I have been doing is after I was done smoking while the chicken rested I would de-skin it. That way nobody got any nasty soggy skin lol.

Back