Strip of Meat Attached to Spare Ribs?

Justin M L

I bought a package of spare ribs from Aldis and they come with a long strip of extra meat attached. Pre smoker, I've simply treated it as a pork steak and just grilled it. Today I threw in in along side the ribs and got a beautiful smoke ring on it. It's flavorful, tender, and juicy. I'm just wondering what the heck it is I cooked? Is there a name for the cut?

Not bad for a noob I'd say.

I don't know the name of it, but I call it the cooks treat or a scooby snack. I like to take that and put a different rub on it. Works good to try out a new flavor. It's done long before the ribs so it's a good snack for the cook.

I think it's called the skirt, I call it flap meat.
One time I cured then smoked it and made, more or less, ham.

IMGP0508.JPG

Justin, Bob is correct I think also, that's what I call it, I always smoke all the trimmings and vac seal for my smoked beans, etc, I also give some to the pooch, it's good stuff

I cooked that piece and some other trimmings alongside my ribs today, then chopped them up and put them in a pan of beans that then went under the ribs for the last couple hours of the cook. It was my first attempt at "drip beans" and they came out pretty good. Of course, the pork to bean ratio was nearly 1 to 1, so how could it be bad?

I smoke it along side the ribs and use it in beams also. Of course, I have to have a little treat while slaving away at the smoker so I nibble on some reserved. LOL. Grilling it and curing it are a couple good ideas, too.

I too leave it on and cook it with the ribs. Turns out tender and flavorful like the rest of the ribs...

Bought a full rack of spares from Target the other day - trimmed them down to St Louis Style - means I about cut the rack in half. Wifey ate ribs, I ate only rib tips. YUMMY

Funny this thread came up again since I just finished putting some TQ on 3 pieces of spare trimmings.
One piece even looks like a mini slab of pork belly.

IMGP1251.JPG

IMGP1252.JPG

Back