Butter Burgers on the Performer

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I have been chasing the "Better Burger" for the past several months. I have tried a number of different methods, different meats, etc. I just MAY have found my better burger - it is the "Butter Burger". Now, I cannot claim that it is my invention. It came from Steven Raichlen's book, "How to Grill".

I used ground sirloin and my wife and "partner in crime" made some herb butter and rolled it up in plastic and froze it. She built four 1/4 pound burgers with a rather large crater in the center. A 1/4" slice of butter went in the crater, then ground meat was laid on top:

The burgers are gently formed up to seal the butter inside.

Here they are on the grill. After the flip I put two slices of our favorite white cheddar - Kerry Gold from Ireland on two.

Of course, I toasted the rolls and put a slice of fresh onion on each. They were absolutely the best burger we have enjoyed for a long time. You might want to to give it a try.

A very good friend dropped off a couple of large zucchinni fresh from his garden. We sliced them, coated with evoo and used garlic pepper and kosher salt. A couple of minutes a side and they were ready to go. They were WONDERFUL! Thanks, Joe!

No plated pics as you have all seen lots of hamburgers before...:)

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Nate;
The meat was sirloin with 15-20% fat content. VERY tasty! I noticed Raichlen uses 1/2" of butter so you might want to experiment a bit to get just the taste you prefer.

I noticed that I got an exceptionally nice crust on these burgers, too. My fire was "smokin' hot" so it was only four minutes on the first side and three on the second after the flip.

Keep on smokin',

Nicely done on the cook Robert....great idea! I will have to try the burger and I can only hope that I get the great results that you did.

Thanks for all of the kind words, folks.

Tonight it was storming outside so we cooked inside:rolleyes:...

We had the zucchini again, but this time on the range griddle. Not NEARLY as good, I can tell you, not nearly as good...

But we knew that anyway, huh?!

Keep on smokin',

There is a local chain, Culvers, started in Wisconsin and expanded into Illinois and their signature burger is called the Butterburger.

Robert your idea is great with the butter inside. Real butter is the best.

>>>Real butter is best<<<

I was exposed to margarine at an early age. At the time, it was thought to be better for your health. About twenty years ago, my wife and I were in Europe (mostly Bavaria) visiting our son and his wife who were stationed in Germany. We made three trips there over a period of three years. Bavaria, hands down, has the best butter and bread in the Universe. I reverted to my farm raised days, got rid of all of the margarine, and nothing but REAL butter will grace my table again:D.

Butter is like bacon. It makes EVERYTHING better!

Keep on smokin',

Hi Robert, looks good! I've been chasing the Holy Grail as well. I just invested in the meat grinder from Kitchen Aid. So I've been grinding own meat. I've been gettin Top Round sirloin and mixing in short ribs for the fat. While the burgers are good, seems like a 1-1 isn't enough. How did you estimate the 20% fat? Guesstimate or the butcher?

And if anyone has suggestions of meat blends lmk. Thx.

Awesome job like the butter idea. Which seasoning did your wife use with the butter?
I've used onions and mushrooms but this is a must try one thanks.

Back