First Mini finally finished

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
I want to say thanks for this great forum and all the info from all the contributions to this thread!
Well after a little painting setback due to decal lifting some paint, and an out of town trip I finally got my first mini reassembled.
Cut out the bottom and used a 12" pie pan on a 18.5 charcoal grate on the very bottom cutout "lip" for the diffuser.
Bottom cooking grate on the steamer plate lip.

Top cook grate sitting 4 1/4" below rim with optional supports 1/2" below rim.

Temp gauge located just under the grate, and masked, ready to paint.

I built this one as a gift for our Niece's husband whose name is Joe. So just changed Smokey Joe to "Smokin Joe" for the theme.
Here's the front

and the back

Thanks again for all of the helpful posts on this thread! Now I get to build mine!

Nice work. It looks like you used the 12" pie pan that says fat daddy and is anodized, right. I saw this pan on Amazon but wasnt sure if it be anodized was ok. Some guys were saying not to use certain pans that were nonstick but I wasnt sure if anodized was ok. Did you get it off amazon? Its funny cause if you search 12" pie pan and then look at what others viewed that viewed the pan, its all things to make a mini.

Nice work. It looks like you used the 12" pie pan that says fat daddy and is anodized, right. I saw this pan on Amazon but wasnt sure if it be anodized was ok. Some guys were saying not to use certain pans that were nonstick but I wasnt sure if anodized was ok. Did you get it off amazon? Its funny cause if you search 12" pie pan and then look at what others viewed that viewed the pan, its all things to make a mini.

Matt, I did notice that. I didn't think about the anodize on the pan, was just looking for the diameter, the pan will be wrapped with foil so hope that will be ok.
Thanks for the compliments all.

Doug

Doug,

I noticed you actually have a grate which you set your diffuser pan on, how did you get it below the lip? Anytime I tried it would get stuck and not work so I ended up having to figure something else out. Personally I would rather have a grate there because it is sturdier than anything else.

Doug,

I noticed you actually have a grate which you set your diffuser pan on, how did you get it below the lip? Anytime I tried it would get stuck and not work so I ended up having to figure something else out. Personally I would rather have a grate there because it is sturdier than anything else.

I used a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff disc and took one side of the outer ring off, right next to the first cross piece. Hope that makes sense. I will put a picture up later today when I get home.

I'm thinking, if I run into a clearance problem between the charcoal and the grate, I will use 3-4 bolts or machine screws with fender washers and nuts, spaced evenly around between the rods to lift it off of the bottom lip. Then the diffuser height would be adjustable.

Nicely done !!

I think your diffuser suspension solution is the best option.

I like the idea of retaining the top, standard height grate position.

How did you arrive at - 4-1/4" for your mid grate elevation (height) ?

I figured that the mid grate would be the go to one but wanted plenty of clearance to the lid. So pretty much just split the difference and ended up with 6"- bottom grate to mid and about 6 1/4"- mid to lid.

Loading up the 5th wheel and the Grandkids and heading for the High Sierras in the early a.m. Our Nephew-in-law is bring the Mini for it's maiden voyage! He said he can't wait to use it, so I will be showing him a little "Smoking 101" on it! Will post on it's "Camp Cooks" next week! :D

Back