Which type of finish for an grill table?

Dan Carroll

Hello everyone, I got the idea to take an old weber gas grill and put a wood top on it from a thread I saw not to long ago. What should I stain or seal this with? I have read people are using minwax but the stuff at lowes says for indoor use only. It's redwood I had laying around and needed something for my kettle to use as a work table. It still needs wood for the bottom , but it's useable Please , some input for the stain/sealant would be great! Also I'm trying to put a pic up but can't figure it out from my iPad

Hello Dan use minwax helmsman spar urethane it is a durable clear that is for out or indoor use I don't think I would stain I would leave natural and just clear
If you what to stain first use any of minwax stains and clear over.

Agree with Terry....

1) Redwood has enough natural color, no need to stain.
In fact people stain lesser woods to look like redwood.

2) Use a clear urethane or spar varnish designed for boats/marine environment and it will provide the durability that you need.

If you don't want the glossy finish, some tung oil will work nicely, it enhances the natural color of the redwood in a way similar to an oiled walnut finish.
It protects the wood, and you can couch it up as needed with more of the oil.

Hello Dan use minwax helmsman spar urethane it is a durable clear that is for out or indoor use I don't think I would stain I would leave natural and just clear
If you what to stain first use any of minwax stains and clear over.

That's what I used on mine and it's holding up very well.

carts005_zps39fe886f.jpg

Back