Sand Or Water ???

Cy Murphy

TVWBB Member
Guys, my Brinkmann charcoal pan that I had been using with water finally developed a few pin holes so I'm contemplating using sand .

Will using sand offer the same heat control benefits that water has worked so well for me in the past ???

Thanks, Cy.

Sand is a very good alternative and an excelent compliment to any defuser. I would suggest lining the bowl with foil before filling with sand, and then covering the top so that the sand says where it belongs

The only concern you might have is weight. I'm going to guess that sand is going to be pretty heavy. If weight is really a concern, clay saucers are an excelent alternative

Sand will not moderate heat like water does, but you might actually like it better. Vent adjustments will become more critical but remain completely manageable. Plus you will use less fuel for a given time and temperature.

Clay saucer from the garden department ?

I have a 18.5 so I'm wondering what diameter suacer is best.

Thanks guys.

Cy, just use the clay saucer as a heat sink (per say, it doesn't really soak up too much heat like heating water does)

It will make it easier to control temps without spikes. Just wrap it in foil and set it in the dry water pan.

It works very well. I no longer use water due to the clay saucer

I would suggest however it you do go with sand only fill the bowl no more than 1/3rd of the way. It seemed when I tried sand and filled the bowl of my 22.5 up to with in a couple of inches from the top that it absorbed the heat and once it absorbed all it could the temp jumped releasing the heat in mass which maid it harder to control the temp roller coaster. I think using just a small amount of sand allows the sand to heat and stabilize quicker giving more control of the temps, more like a heat shield than a heat sink. I know I'll catch flak for this comment but I believe the only true heat sink in this case is water everything else is only a diffuser.

Well it does depend on your target temp IMO. If going L&S below 250ish than a saucer or sand will work as a sink, as will H2O.
Get above that with a clay or sand mass, than temps will start to spike as the material or media gets to a point where it starts to release heat, instead of absorbing it.
Water never does that as long as you keep the pan relatively full.
I found my WSM likes to run at 275 with no muss or fuss with an empty foiled pan.:wsm:
Edit: Don made the same point as me:)
Tim

I don't use anything except a foiled, dry, water pan. I have little trouble maintaining temperature.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for responding, guys. I'll go to HD or Lowes and pick up a saucer from the patio department..

Don't eat to much !!! :wsm:

Last edited:
Just watch your temps and shut your vents a little earlier than usual and allow the temp to come up to your target slowly until you get to know how the dish works.

Back