Temp Control Help

Mike DiMaggio

TVWBB Member
I'm running DigiQ DX2 on my 22.5. I have a full ring of Kingsford and I added 3\4 chimney of lit in the middle (can tecnique). I'm trying to keep WSM at 300. I keep all vents open and kick door open until I get to 275. As soon as I close the door the temp immediately starts dropping. I even get the temp up to 310 and as soon as I close the door it starts dropping. Goes to 265/270 and stops. The digiq fan is running but the temp keeps dropping. What's up? Any help will be appreciated.

I read some where that
1)the fan speed could be pre-cut down. Check if it is? Maybe its not running at max speed.
2) the tin/large can minion method with ATC is much better if the lit can is just in front the ATC vent

Thanks Enrico I'll try that next time. The temp stabilized after an hour and is holding a solid 300 for the past 2 hours. I guess it's just patience and letting the temp climb slow and steady until you hit your target.

Are you using water in the pan? If so, don't....very hard to get high temps with water in the pan. If you are not using water, then you need to create more air flow out of the WSM. Propping the door does this and that is why you can get temps up at beginning, but as soon as you shut it, then they drop. You are getting enough of airflow in via your fan, but if there isn't enough air leaving the WSM, then your temps will not go up. I leave my door propped open little bit to create more airflow through WSM when I do higher heat cooks. Also, I will be adding a 2nd exhaust vent in lid for the same effect, which will be easier than dealing with door.

Good luck,
Kg

Last edited:
Mike is your vent on the lid wide open? Also check the damper setting on the blower, there bare 3 settings and if its 1/3 open that could be the problem. Good luck.

Back