Mustard BBQ sauce

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
I was raised on Mustard BBQ. I grew up in the piedmont of SC, or the upper-middle part of the state. We were pretty close to Wise's BBQ (oh the HASH!), a place whose mustard bbq sauce I've read* is about as close to the original old-time mustard bbq sauce that there is. I've tried other mustard sauces, and they usually end up being sweeter than I'd like. To be fair, I don't care for it being sweet at all. I've had Maurice's, which is usually what folks think of when mustard bbq in SC is mentioned, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was too sweet as well.

Wise's Mustard BBQ sauce is obviously mustard based, but it has a strong vinegar component and heavy black pepper. Based on the color, I suspect there's some worcestershire sauce in it as well. Oh, and a butter component. My uncle has the recipe, but I'm having a hard time getting in touch with him.

So my questions:
1.) Any mustard bbq fans? Wise's?
2.) Any commercial-in-the-stores mustard-based bbq sauces that you can recommend that aren't very sweet?

*Can't find the source presently.

I'm a mustard bbq fan, but I've never had Wise's. I work in Newberry, SC, near Wise's, but so far have not had the pleasure. Maybe I will when i go back to work. As far as off the shelf mustard sauce, I've tried a few. Shealy's sauce isn't sweet. It's strongly mustard, vinegar, and specks of black pepper. I've found it at Food Lion before. I've heard Johnny Harris' sauce is similar to what you're looking for. Walmart carries it. The Cattleman's mustard is too spicy for me, but you may like it and at Walmart it costs maybe a dollar and a half. Sticky Fingers mustard sauce is chalky to me. The flavor from mustard wasn't strong enough. If you're fortunate enough to be near a Piggly Wiggly, check them out as they sometimes carry lesser known brands that may just wow you if you take a chance on them. If I go to Wise's soon, I'll let you know.

Cee El, thanks for the info. I saw they sell their sauce online. Get out on Hwy 76 toward Clinton/Joanna and it'll be on your left. Report back on your thoughts when you get by there! Clint, that one looks like its pretty sweet still, but I'll have to try it to see. (I'm going to have SO much mustard sauce of different recipes!)

I'd have no problem leaving the sugar & butter out. Try a small batch, somewhat proportioned, and see what you think - it's a great base to work with. Skip the ingredients that you don't have or like - not a big deal!

When my sister was going to be out of the country for a while, my aunt had my Grandma write down as many recipes as she could think of. It was in a little spiral bound notebook. There's Fried Chicken, Country Fried Steak, Banana Pudding (it'll be in Heaven) Chocolate cake, (s)Mashed Potatoes. You know. Everything that made her kitchen the place to be on Sunday around lunchtime. (It even had a copy of HER Daddy's Hash recipe.) My aunt decided that for Christmas that year, every household would get a copy of this cookbook! (She won Christmas that year!)

Turns out my uncle's recipe for this sauce is in there ...and its almost DEAD ON. (I finally got in touch with my uncle to ask about this recipe ...and he was belly up to a table at Wise's BBQ.) It doesn't LOOK *exactly* like the sauce, and there's no Black Pepper in the ingredient list, but it tastes identical. The recipe as given makes a LOT of sauce, but he'd already reduced it to 1/8th of the recipe.

All that said, I'll try to digitize this recipe and share it.

When my sister was going to be out of the country for a while, my aunt had my Grandma write down as many recipes as she could think of. It was in a little spiral bound notebook. There's Fried Chicken, Country Fried Steak, Banana Pudding (it'll be in Heaven) Chocolate cake, (s)Mashed Potatoes. You know. Everything that made her kitchen the place to be on Sunday around lunchtime. (It even had a copy of HER Daddy's Hash recipe.) My aunt decided that for Christmas that year, every household would get a copy of this cookbook! (She won Christmas that year!)

Turns out my uncle's recipe for this sauce is in there ...and its almost DEAD ON. (I finally got in touch with my uncle to ask about this recipe ...and he was belly up to a table at Wise's BBQ.) It doesn't LOOK *exactly* like the sauce, and there's no Black Pepper in the ingredient list, but it tastes identical. The recipe as given makes a LOT of sauce, but he'd already reduced it to 1/8th of the recipe.

All that said, I'll try to digitize this recipe and share it.

So Wayne, where's the recipe?

I took a picture of the ingredient portion of the recipe and its on my phone. I don't remember there being too much in the way of instructions on order. (That portion didn't make it into the picture.) I'll try to double check that and get back in another 4 months or so. (I keed!) I've won a few converts who were, ever so begrudgingly, willing to try it. Also, just a reminder that this needs to be served warm.

1¼ lbs of Butter
1 pint Apple Cider Vinegar
1 pint Yellow Mustard
1 pint Tomato Sauce
2 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
1 oz. Texas Pete
1 oz. Salt
1 oz. Sugar

Don't sell it up here. I have to reverse-engineer it. OTOH, ill just sub in something else ;)

Last edited:

Back