Has anybody fixed a raspberry pi?

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
Not to long ago I had to get a new Rpi from accidently shorted it out my first rpi. When I plug in the mini USB cable the RG1 chip gets hot and that's it.

I looked around on the net and was able to find a page of the parts needed to fix and I ordered them on mouser, for about .06 a part.

I ordered RG1,2,3 and hopefully when I get my parts back and remove the chips and use my newly learned smd soldering skills to bring back to life a Rpi.

A user on the forum sent me their faulty RasPi and I was able to bring it back to life. The issue was the 25 Mhz crystal that controls the ethernet and USB port wasn't working properly. I ordered the crystal and resistors from ebay but I still wasn't able to make it work. I then found out that the lower USB port can be accessed directly by solder bridging 2 other small points and did it that way, which basically turns it into a model A.

The first Pi I blew up, RG2 was getting really hot and the power LED just blinked. I replaced it and the new one got really hot too, so I also replaced RG1 and RG3 thinking that something downstream from RG2 must be shorted and pulling power. Same effect. I've never been able to resurrect one, but I have 3 that are blown up, all of which the regulators get hot. I believe it's not the regulators that are the problem, they just get hot because they're pushing maximum power to some other broken part.

well I was able to replace all 3(RG1,RG2,RG3) and had no luck and then I tried to bypass the polyfuse and no luck with that either. Then I went out side and got the shovel and dug a nice little hole for the Rpi and put Taps on my phone and gave it a nice little burial.:D

Back