Clay vs. Bowl of Water

John Pierson

Just finished my mini project. I've rested a rack on the bottom indent of the steamer pot, and on that rack placed a 10 or 11 inch metal bowl (an old dog dish). I plan to fill this with water for my first smoke. I'm reading a lot of folks use a clay pot/saucer as their heat diffuser. Any input on pros and cons of each method?

Here's my build:

photo_zpsc445db2c.jpg

Last edited:
Your picture isn't displaying

Maybe removing the "html" at the end might get it to display

photo_zpsc445db2c.jpg

edit

I tried displaying your picture and get the dreaded red X

Last edited:
I have used a clay saucer I bought at Lowes, wrapped it in foil and it works great. Holds temperature great and I don't have to add water. I wrap it in double foil and change the other level every time.

I use a 12in clay pot as well, I tried a metal one and although clean up is easier I couldnt find a 12 inch metal round pan.

Neither! You're wasting precious fuel heating the clay saucer or water bowl. I used my metal steamer tray (cut to size and wrapped in foil) as a diffuser. The saucer and bowl are more of a heat sink as they absorb heat as well as redirect it. Just my opinion,
Tim

I use a 10" pie pan double wrapped in foil.. sitting on grate and 2 cooking grates above it.. No problem yet. One thing I like about the mini with a handle, lift up and stir coals or add wood.

Sometimes I use a clay saucer, but only when I want to do indirect smoke. If I use anything, normally I use the steamer insert that came with the pot. For most smokes though I don't use any diffuser. I used to be from the school if ya have to have a diffuser or water pan, but it's not required.

CaseT, I wish I wouldnt had followed the directions here on the website, it tells you to hackup the steamer insert. Because of this mine is no longer useable and I ended up having to use the clay pot.

CaseT, I wish I wouldnt had followed the directions here on the website, it tells you to hackup the steamer insert. Because of this mine is no longer useable and I ended up having to use the clay pot.

You could get a cheap pizza pan and drill holes in it. Then you'd have a new steamer insert!

Back