RaspberryPi B+ Supported? No!

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The RaspberryPi foundation today announced the release of a new B model device, the B+ (B Plus). Is better than the B right? Not for HeaterMeter! The new physical dimensions make mating the HeaterMeter board to the Pi impossible. In addition, internal part changes mean that the existing Linux kernel doesn't support the ethernet chip or USB hub.

So to be clear, HeaterMeter v4.0-4.2 support RaspberryPi model A or model B, not model B+

Out of curiosity, I have one of the old old (256MB ram) Model Bs laying around, would that work for the 4.2? Or should I get one of the 512MB Model Bs before they go extinct?

Out of curiosity, I have one of the old old (256MB ram) Model Bs laying around, would that work for the 4.2? Or should I get one of the 512MB Model Bs before they go extinct?

They work with 4.0 and 4.1, so I'm sure it'll work with 4.2

As if there was any doubt these wouldn't work, HeaterMeter v4.2 meets Raspberry Pi B+. If only we didn't need power input!

The idle power usage is much lower on these B+ boards, under 200mA @5V with no ethernet or wifi connected. A regular Model B is about 350mA, and a Model A is about 100mA. While I was at it, I plugged in a model A + HeaterMeter fully up with wifi and it comes in at about 115mA @12.5V. Note that with HeaterMeter v4.2, it's OK to run off a 12V battery (a car battery or battery out of a UPS) which are typically up to 14V fully charged. The "Voltage" mode output and switching regulators will step down the voltage efficiently and actually get more power out of the battery.

You could do that but the resulting device would be something like 45mm tall or twice the depth of an existing HeaterMeter. Software-wise, v11 doesn't work without some modifications either (update the bootloader from the hexxeh repository).

I run my HM4 with a male/female ribbon cable between the HM and the Pi as I didn't want to take the composite output off (in case I needed to return the Pi). It all works fine.

Doesn't help with the LAN or USB issues on the B+ though.

Last edited:
Perhaps I missed it, but this would be good to note on the wiki. And/or in the (sticky) 4.2.4 HW thread.

Shame the forum software does not allow b+ as a search term.

Yah, B+ is NOT supported, but from what I have read they plan to keep the standard rPi B version available....
The forum search does leave something to be desired, sometimes I can't find stuff I want to reference even when I know exactly what I am looking for.....

I thought it was in there but you're right I couldn't see anywhere where it specifically says the B+ doesn't work. I've added it every place I could find where the Pi models are referred to, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I can confirm that they work on a 4.2.4 board, but with some manual processing. I had to bend 2 pins from a connector called "P2" that would have interfered with the buzzer on the HM board.

Last edited:

Back