Painting the Mini WSM

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
Finally got around to paint the Mini. I had to make sure the grill would perform. That it has. Here are a few of the before paint.

I am torn. If I do another coat, clear coat?

How long before taking off decals.

A's / Raiders...Oh my, lol

What's going on inside that pot? It looks like you painted the inside?

I didn't do any clear coats, I just painted one side orange (because I like the better team across the bay) I put my decal on the orange paint, and then painted the whole pot black (including over my decal) I then lifted my decal (displaying my logo in orange)

I'm assuming you're going to paint your outside? And then remove the decals so that the pot's original color is displaying your A's / Raiders silhouette?

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51217-New-Guy-last-weekend-s-project-Go-Giants

Yea. More championships. I've cooked in it twice already. I've put 3-4 coats of rustoleom on it and am debating on clear coat. Pros of clear coat? Apply after decals off or before I tear off.

I live in Illinois. I would be there. Showing the East Bay Pride. Watching the game?

Here is the painted, but decals still on. Hard to see the decals. 5 coats.

Quit? It was getting good at that point. But i guess watching futility isn't that entertaining. I prolly will not apply the clear coat. I will wait a few days and take decals off. Exacto knife or GooGone.

prolly won't need either, they'll peal right off, but go slowly so you don't pull paint, especially inside the Raider's face

Does the more time the decals sit and the paint cures/drys, will that mean letters/decals peel off easier/better?

I would recommend putting on a clear coat or two. First off it makes your metal shine a little and secondly with the high heat paint it feels gritty. By adding a clear coat you receieve an overall smoother product.

I just bought some clear coat, sprayed it. It looked like ****. Good thing I tried before removing the decals and had enough black to recover and make it look back to normal.

Looks awesome Matthew, I am going to assume you put the clear coat on the A's one? It looks like the Raiders one is more gritty and less shiny overall. I am sorry you didnt like the one with the clear coat, once it dried for me I thought it looked fantastic. I did not like the gritty feel that the high heat paint gave so it worked for me.

Actually, I painted over the Clear coat, unless it was to dry clear, b/c it looked silver.. I dont mind the texture, I wanted to leave well alone. Maybe later if I only do a BLACK one, I may use the Clear Coat. Now I just need a cover...

On the right side of this pic is what my pot looked like after a few coats of hi-temp "gloss" black spray paint. Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out about the hazy gray finish. I think a drop of sweat or something wet got on it and it really looked glossy black. Stopped, grabbed a beer and rummaged around for a solution.

I found some stuff I had to remove surface scratches, swirl marks and haze (Nu Finish "Scratch Doctor"). I tried it to see what would happen and you can see the results on the left side of this pic. The gloss black finish looks so close to the porcelain of the Weber, it's hard to tell the difference.

Super happy with the results! Now, I haven't fired up the Mini yet, so it may not stay that way. Once my last part arrives tomorrow, I plan on firing it up and will post up the condition of the paint finish.

:wsm:

14661159031_c8569d7015_c.jpg

Clear coat goes on white/silver but drys clear. Just so your aware, I thought the same thing when I first put mine on :)

Clear coat goes on white/silver but drys clear. Just so your aware, I thought the same thing when I first put mine on :)

Oops, I failed to mention in my post that I did not use a clear coat. I only used "gloss" black spray paint and that's it. I probably didn't apply it correctly, or it was maybe too humid? I'm not sure, but after I used the rubbing compound, it looks great!

Did you let it dry before hand out of curiosity? Or did it look like that hazy gray/white while it was still wet?

Back