SWMBO ordered me a half pork belly!

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Over 11 lbs! I'm like a kid in a candy store. I removed the skin for use as chicharrón. Then I used Morton's TQ to start my 7 day journey to BACON! (Thanks again Bob!) LOL

Last edited:
Fine looking belly Dwain. and I'm sure it will be some fine bacon!
Good luck with the cracklings, I've never been that ambitious.:)

Bob C. and Jim L. seem to be the bacon guru's and theirs looks so good, so I'm really looking forward to your observations on the process Dwain. I really want to try it if I can find a pork belly and so far none of the local markets have them or are willing to order one.
Might be a 250 mile round trip to a butcher shop in Phoenix to get one in the 110 degree heat ugh.
That's if they ever remove the charcoal restrictions before Fall.

Last edited:
That is fantastic looking bacon and it is just how we do it except I make my own cure instead of using TenderQuick. We flip the belly daily and then drain and rinse at the end of 7 to 8 days. We soak our bacon in fresh water to help remove some of the saltiness. I ended up soaking for half an hour, which leaves a bit of saltiness to it. Soaking for an hour or more and switching out the water once removed all the saltiness - at least for me. So it depends on how you like your bacon. I'd rinse it off, then slice a bit and cook it - no smoke, but you'd know how salty it was and could either soak longer or dry off and let if form the pellicle before smoking.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

After curing I sprinkled the main slab lightly with pepper, one small slab heavily with pepper, and one with pepper and dark brown sugar

I smoked it with pecan until 145*F internal which ended up being about 7 hours @ ~160*F.

We like thick sliced bacon

and there you have it. Bacon!

Dwain, that looks outstanding! Now that you've tried it would you do anything different and which of the three do you like the best?

Dwain, that looks outstanding! Now that you've tried it would you do anything different and which of the three do you like the best?

This is my second time making bacon so I am still sticking with the basics Bob taught me. One thing I will do from now on is reweight the meat after removing the skin. I was a little heavy handed on the salt cure but it turned out well. I like the heavily peppered bacon myself.

Great looking bacon!
How do you like the pecan? It is one of my favorite woods for bacon lately!!! Love it
Question though on the brown sugar, you put it on right before smoking? Calf you taste the sweetness?
I' m continually looking for ways to make a better maple bacon as the kids and wife LOVE maple.
Perhaps I'll inject it next time.....?

Great looking bacon!
How do you like the pecan? It is one of my favorite woods for bacon lately!!! Love it
Question though on the brown sugar, you put it on right before smoking? Calf you taste the sweetness?
I' m continually looking for ways to make a better maple bacon as the kids and wife LOVE maple.
Perhaps I'll inject it next time.....?

I've been using a lot of pecan and peach wood lately. I have a peach tree and bought some pecan and had a buddy give me some from a few limbs down in his yard.

I put the brown sugar on right before smoking. I do taste it but it is subtle. Not like pig candy.

That bacon looks awesome! I've been wanting to try it as well but I guess Im lazy :(

Too bad you guys that like pecan aren't closer to me. We took down 4 trees at my fire station and I have more than I can use in a loooong time

Back