Wind and Rain Screen

Larry in MA

It seem like every time I fire up the WSM the wind kicks up at some point during the smoke. So I built a smoke shack to block the wind.

The sides and back are made of 4 foot 1x5 pine boards that I picked up at Home depot for $1.25 a piece.

The sides are held together with pin hinges so that I can easily take it apart for storage
The roof is a piece of T-111 that I had. I notched the riser in the front so that it fits over the sides for stability and provides a backward pitch for the rain to run off. I also added a cleat that catches the back wall so the roof doesn't slide off.

Great idea. I like the idea that you can take it apart and store it flat. Smart thinking.

That's bad azz! I don't really get much wind or bad weather here in SoCal, but that thing is so cool, I want to build one anyway!

Great Job!

Nice! I should try something like that for my deck, with the bonus it could also act as a sun screen. I burned my fingers setting up the kettle grill over the weekend and that was before I even got the charcoal lit! It can be a challenge to keep the temp from getting out of control on the smoker when the sun hits it.

I just noticed this thread, and sense some possible confusion in the future. Would you consider changing your user name? If not, then I'll have to change mine.

Back