Running Temperature Probes

Gary C.

I am a proud new owner of a 22.5" WSM. I have wanted one for years and was finally able to get one, but it is the 2013 model without the grommet. I used my kettle previously for smoking and had cut a slot with my dremel from ideas on this site. It actually works very well, but I don't want to cut my shiny new one. I ordered the 3/8" grommets from the Cajun Bandit site, but I am having second thoughts about drilling.

This weekend I just ran the wires for my Maverick ET-732 and my IQ110 under the lid, but I'm not sure how long it would be before I have to start replacing crimped faulty probes. Is there any of you that have had good luck running the cables under the lid or I am I going to significantly shorten the life of the probes? My first cook, I ran them through the top vents, but that was a pain.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I saw a picture where someone ran the probe wires through the access door...when they closed the door, they just moved the wires to one of the lower corners and it looked like there was enough room and the wires were NOT getting crimped

I don't run wires under the lid because i don't want air leaks. I set some gasket in the lid basement and round the original door.
Now i pass wires through the door and the gasket, like this

IMG_4506 di BBQness, su Flickr

It works fine for me.

For the longest time I ran mine through the top vent, which was a PITB when popping the top. I recently ordered from Weber, the Garments they now have built into their 2014 WSM's

Because Weber charges S&H, I ordered two garments, that way my cost was less than $8 each (where one would have been $12)

I have the new 14.5" WSM which came with the silicone grommet installed. After using it for a couple of times, I realized that the slot was MUCH better in every way. I had previously cut the slot in my 18.5" WSM and my Mini-Joe, so I just cut a slot in the new WSM and have been EXTREMELY happy with it.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Don't be!

I use both, the grommet on my 14.5 or the ones I drilled on my 22.5 is great for putting probes on the lower grate, while the slot is for the top!

You really should have both.

I used the grommet mod for a while as well, then did the slot mod. I love the slot much better, but I like Jeff's idea of both to get temps on both grates

Go ahead and cut that thing up :)

The slot would definitely be the most convenient. I appreciate the quick responses and great advice!

I have cut a small slot in the middle cooking section top rim - just wide enough to lay the probe wire in and place the lid on the cooker without crimping the wire. Works great.

Just an update. The dealer that I purchased my smoker from ended up switching out the middle section of a 2014 model and I now have the factory grommet. It works great, but still not as easy as the slot. I may eventually cut a slot, but for now this works pretty well.

Back