question on hi-heat painting

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi guys, I'm in the paint phase of my mini build. I'm using the VHT flame proof primer and then the engine enamel. Do I need to wait the full 7 days after the primer coat before stenciling, and the final color?

Guess I should clarify my ? a little better. Yesterday I primed and shot an area of color coat. So now, should I wait the 7 days according to the can directions, or can I go ahead and apply decal and final coat then wait the 7 days before curing?

I rushed my painting, completing the whole build in two day. I painted one side of my pot orange, after a few hours, I put my SF decal on the orange paint. I then painted the whole pot black. When I lifted the decal (to display the orange SF logo) some orange paint did lift. Also, where I paint the black over the orange paint, it could be rubbed off.

So...Waiting does have it's advantages

I guess patience has its virtues. I am a patient person, but don't know if I can wait that long. I kinda have a timeline on this one as B-day gift. I will at least give it a few days.

I guess patience has its virtues. I am a patient person, but don't know if I can wait that long. I kinda have a timeline on this one as B-day gift. I will at least give it a few days.
You could gift it in raw aluminum mode, then take it back and do the paint job right.
Or roll the dice.

I used the same paint, you only need to wait the 7 days AFTER your done painting before heating it up by smoking. The paint will not have cured in time and will melt if you try to heat it up before then. I do believe I waited an hour in between coats.

I used the same paint, you only need to wait the 7 days AFTER your done painting before heating it up by smoking. The paint will not have cured in time and will melt if you try to heat it up before then. I do believe I waited an hour in between coats.

++ this is the right procedure. All that being said, I waited the 7 days after each coat (total 21 days) and still had paint lifting around my decal.

Do your best painting it, be proud, then cook Cook COOK!

Thanks Ralph, I posted pics of the finished product in another thread, "First Mini......" a few threads down.

Back