The Mini-Za Oven

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Howdy! I built my first Mini-WSM abut 4 years ago. I currently have two SMJ silvers with side vents and four smoker pots. I recently took my original pot and Modified it into a Pizza Oven. I saved the cut out and plan on making a removable door out of it. We take this guy camping and I didn't want to have to pack a pot for smoking and one for pizza.

14334265257_eb643271b9_b.jpg

14519632742_47c41b6bbc_b.jpg

14517291371_25b2670e63_b.jpg

ENJOY!!!!

Great idea on that cut out. Those are some serious valves for vents on the silver!

Great idea on that cut out. Those are some serious valves for vents on the silver!

Thanks! It works great. I left the upper rack supports in thinking that I could cook ABT's or wings on the upper rack. What I've found is I need to put a terracotta diffuser up there to direct the heat back down as the SMJ Lid is to high. Thank goodness I ave 3 other pots!

I have two SMJ silvers and on both of them I have (2) 3/4" valved side vents. I can crank the higher than my therm reads (500°) or as low as 180°.

Last edited:
That is a cool idea. Make me want to go buy another pot!

I did just that. I took advantage of a Walmart sale and ordered two pots for $17 and some change. Used the free shipping to my local store for pick up.

Wow thats a great idea!

Thanks it works great! We cook pizza at least once a week and the boys love making their own pie. My youngest pictured above is quite the chef in the making. He has declared on of the Mini's as "his smoker"!

CaseT;
Bully for you showing the son how to smoke and make pizza. I found your pizza conversion "VELLY INTELLESTING"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

CaseT;
Bully for you showing the son how to smoke and make pizza. I found your pizza conversion "VELLY INTELLESTING"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thank you! Gotta get em started young! He's been my sous chef for 5 years now. Even has his own knives and aprons!

have you modified it any? Hinges on the top of cutout part? Paint? what was the total cutout for the opening?

I'm Confused? What are the connects on the bottom?

Side air vents. Allows me to control the temps better. When I first built my mini-WSM I could never get above 280*. Added one vent then added the other now I can get above 500*. Not how high as my therm cuts out at 500*.

have you modified it any? Hinges on the top of cutout part? Paint? what was the total cutout for the opening?

I'll have to measure the opening when I get home. I believe it was 17" long and just under 6"
High. I haven't finished the door yet but I do have some hardware.

I was wondering if you made the opening a little up on the pot, that would help with the heat coming back down and melting the cheese/cooking the pizza more? just a thought, I guess the lid could be cut and be like a short stack heat shield. just a thought.

I was wondering if you made the opening a little up on the pot, that would help with the heat coming back down and melting the cheese/cooking the pizza more? just a thought, I guess the lid could be cut and be like a short stack heat shield. just a thought.

I wouldn't want to move it any higher from the heat source. Adding a terracotta planter tray as a diffuser on the upper rack was all that was needed to redirect the heat back down. Closing the upper vent also helps. There's no need to leave it open with the pot cut out.

Okay so here's the door complete. Also the proper dimensions.
The width along the curvature of the pot is a total of 14". The height of the opening is 4 1/4". That opening height goes from the top of the bottom rack at the steamer insert level to the btm of the upper rack. I have been using a terracotta 12" diffuser now at the top rack position. This directs all the heat right back down perfectly. I will post pictures of the door after I upload them to Flickr to hard to do from my phone so it will be a bit. Tap a talk would be nice here.

Back