Hanging meat in WSM - Experiment

Ernest

TVWBB Fan
I've been fascinated by the cooks on my PBC. Not sure if it's the hanging or what. So today I'm experimenting with hanging ribs in Big Worm. Using snake method, no heat sink. Currently running steady at 235.

I'm using my craycort grate as a hanger with PBC hooks.

2 bottom vents closed, one fully open.
Will update....

Two hours in, even cooking top to bottom. Shot of tip closest to the fire:

Cooking really fast.

Pulled the rack at 4 hour mark.
Great texture, clean bite off the bone.

I had a lot of charcoal left. Had plans to do a chicken on the PBC, but decided to go with Big Worm. Opened all vents, heat cranked to 329.

There's is something about hanging meat indeed.
Browned perfectly.

My rack charred slightly at bottom. If I hang them an inch higher they'd be zero char.
I'm convinced hanging is the way to go. Might have to get another craycort grate.

I'm convinced hanging is the way to go. Might have to get another craycort grate.

ok. All the food looks amazing. I want to try this method in my WSM....just curious...why do you say you might have to get another graycort grate?

ok. All the food looks amazing. I want to try this method in my WSM....just curious...why do you say you might have to get another graycort grate?

Thank you Frank. I pulled this grate off my Weber performer for the experiment.
I prefer grilling with cast iron grates than those wire things.

Ernest that is one great cook, really like the color on everything. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks

Maybe all of those UDS guys had the right idea after all.

I've made two. Drum are great for ribs and chicken, cook very efficiently, but rust out and at least for my tastes, are too closed an environment for all the fat in the fire smoke that comes from a lot of pork butt or brisket. To be honest though, I never tried hanging the meat on hooks.

Last edited:
I've made two. Drum are great for ribs and chicken, cook very efficiently, but rust out and at least for my tastes, are too closed an environment for all the fat in the fire smoke that comes from a lot of pork butt or brisket. To be honest though, I never tried hanging the meat on hooks.

Thank you Dave, that's something to consider.

Back