Looking Forward: HeaterMeter LIVE

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
With hardware v4.2 and LinkMeter package v11 development drawing to a close for this cycle. I started thinking about what sort of things might be on my plate next. I thought I'd run an idea by everyone.

Inspired by the Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks thread I thought, what if this were integrated into HeaterMeter? By that, I mean there's a "LIVE" tab added to the webui. In there you could enter some information:
  • HeaterMeter LIVE account name (secret for you)
  • HeaterMeter display name
  • Country
  • Postal Code
  • Display on map Y/N
  • Public Y/N

This would connect back up to HeaterMeter.com and put your device on a map and/or provide a link on the heatermeter website where someone can view your live cook. This also covers the "how many heatermeters have been built?" question because there can be a running total of registered device, active devices, and public devices.

What's in it for you? For registering your heatermeter with HeaterMeter LIVE I'll provide you with a custom domain name for your heatermeter and keep it up to date with mapping your heatermeter domain to your IP address. Sort of like a dyndns or noip that is automatically maintained for you.

None of your cook data will be shared with the heatermeter.com servers, although this isn't outside the realm of possibility for the future. Some sort of heatermeter cloud storage of your graphs or something maybe.

How much interest is there in this? I'm also wondering what short domain name is good. joeblow.live.heatermeter.com isn't exactly easy to enter in a browser. I've tried http://live.hm, http://ri.bs, http://grill.to, http://bbq.to, http://bu.tt...

I think that is a great idea, cause the live cooks seem to be popular. It would be nice in that it would hide your real IP info from the general public (I think, if I understand properly) and provide more of a HM community organization...

I had touched on the idea of "Social Heater Metering" a while back, the basic idea to make the HM more of a social network device, and this would be a good step forward in that direction. It would be nice if this could expand to including the ability to add comments, pictures and even video streams on the HM graph to make the live cooks more interactive. Perhaps adding a bluetooth dongle to the HM so you could connect up with a smart phone to facilitate adding the comments and pics etc...

I agree and think this is an awesome idea. I am currently cooking my first HeaterMeter cook and I am already thinking of my 4.2 build.

I think it would be kinda neat to see how many Hm are active or have been built. Not sure about the Map part of it, not sure if I would want someone to come by and wait for the food to be done and snatch from your BBQ or smoker before you notice, lol :eek:

I think this will just lead to HM graph envy . . . :wsm:
Speaking of HM graph envy, I just noticed a little circle on the graph around the blower speed and/or probe temp as I drag the pointer over the graph, is that new? I also just noticed I now have the probe selection preset dropdown box on my config page, I guess this stuff came with the last snapshot or LinkMeter11 release I loaded....

One of the main potential benefits that I see through this is the chance of opening up the tunings of the BPID to those who are in the weeds.

Personally, I started this project on a much different setup than the couple of different scenarios that have since been put into play.

All of our setups are completely different with the slight exception of the tech driving it.

The defaults are centered around Bryan's big green egg and it asks the question of how the commercially available systems are magically able to adapt to environments that they are used.

I have never owned a commercial unit and after watching the graphs pouring out of this project for the past year, I can't imagine that they have stumbled upon an "autotune" situation that meets all needs.

Live tuning advice might be the next step in socializing what is going on in the heatermeter community.

The defaults are centered around Bryan's big green egg and it asks the question of how the commercially available systems are magically able to adapt to environments that they are used.

I have never owned a commercial unit and after watching the graphs pouring out of this project for the past year, I can't imagine that they have stumbled upon an "autotune" situation that meets all needs.

Live tuning advice might be the next step in socializing what is going on in the heatermeter community.

They don't, I suspect. Good enough is good enough. Your little piggy doesn't care if it's 225* or 230* or bouncing between the 2, this is for all the eggheads to worry about. HM is awesome for what it is & could be, but step back from the tinkering & enjoy the outcome. There's no PID settings for taste buds. My first run with the HM was a complete failure - fire went out 2x, shot up over 300*, bounced around, finally figured out that I couldn't run at 225*, ran at 275 & found it to be very steady. The butt was still awesome, probably more so because I was so frustrated & tired. Now it's almost automatic, I only look at the graphs to confirm temp is OK & estimate when it will be done.

I think this is a great idea. As I stated in another thread I am often curious who is watching one of my cooks when I post up a link. I think being able to see who else is cooking across the country/world would be pretty neat as well. I started my smoking habit recently and with 4 other guys I work with, having a social aspect to talk about ideas and figure out problems has made it quite enjoyable.

I do think a degree of location anonymity would be good, i.e. only as accurate as by zip code in the US?

Love the idea, Like to see how others graphs look. and then I don’t have to worry about putting up post every time I cook to share.

I love the idea also. I also think that if it had a store that you could buy cases and the roto-dampers and some of the other 3d printed items in would be great. It would help newcomers to find where to get all the items.

I love the idea also. I also think that if it had a store that you could buy cases and the roto-dampers and some of the other 3d printed items in would be great. It would help newcomers to find where to get all the items.

I have been thinking of something like this too. The forum is not bad nor github, but finding info can be a problem for those that are not familiar with github, or the forums here.

Hm live would be neat to have a store where you could order or at least be able to visually see with the cost associated with what you want to get and a contact to whom to order it with. I have even been looking at ordering some T-shirts with a heatermeter theme.

How about a tab on there that has a spot for a before and after pic along with recipe (rub, inject, type of wood...) of what you did?? Just my 2 cents.

J.

It's sort of a thing, in that the HeterMeter Device Manager is the best parts of this, at least from a LAN.

The client side of it where you can make it public I never got to. It's still on the TODO list but as you might be able to tell from how slowly things have been progressing, I haven't had any time.

Back