New WSM 22.5, atc and mods

JasonWB

TVWBB Member
So after smoking on my gas grills for years, my wife surprised me and ordered me a new WSM 22.5 for my first Fathers Day. Needless to say I was slightly excited. So after waiting two weeks to find out that it was lost in shipping, getting a refund, going to a local store and buying one only to get it home and discover that it was an old model, returning that one and finally getting a 2014 model with the rubber probe grommets etc. that I wanted, I am finally the proud owner of a new wsm22.5.

I also decided that I wanted a table or storage of some sort to put beside it where I was going to put it in the yard and dumb lucked across a Performer on craigslist locally that some guys had posted a thread for on here (thanks guys!!!) for $55 which fit the bill more than perfectly. I didn't want the charcoal/wood/fire grills on the wood deck so I installed paver stones in the yard and made a dedicated pit area.

I did the CB door and pressure latch and also did the gasket mod, but decided to attach the gasket directly to the back of the door for a cleaner look. I had planned to do grate handle mods, but was also pleasantly surprised that handles have already been attached to the lower food grate on the new models.

I did however go ahead with the charcoal grate handle and second grate mod. Bolted and wired it together and it's very solid.

Also picked up a smaller charcoal basket for shorter cooks (thanks again Don!!!).

I thought about it a lot and decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Cyberq Wifi as I like to take a lot of the variables out of cooking and wanted to control things as much as possible as well as the fact that I hate being tied to the grill/smoker all day when I'm cooking. It took several hours to get set up properly, but now works like a dream. I would have no hesitation now to start a cook and sleep through the night or go to the pool etc as it will alert me if anything is not going properly. I've used it once and it has already proven itself worth every penny. It does need a power supply and I decided I didn't want to run an extension cord every time I cooked so I found a thread on here and got the idea to use a sprinkler controller box with a dedicated power supply. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000VYGMF2/tvwb-20. It's water proof and is the perfect setup to hook the controller up in and leave it even if the weather gets wet. I had to run a power supply out into the yard, which took an afternoon, but I'm very happy with the finished product. I used a bit of Velcro and can just remove everything from it when I'm not cooking and takes me about two minutes to set up the atc when I want to get started.

It's not hooked up here, but it will hold my transmitter for my et-733 as well.

Closed up and water tight

Results of the first cook Saturday. Pork shoulder was so tender that I couldn't even get it off the smoker in one piece.

As I now have a power supply right there, I'm planning to add some sort of lighting over the grills, but am still looking for the right fixtures, parts etc.

I still plan to do the handle mod on the middle section of the cooker, but haven't decided how I want to do it yet. I'm also considering the grate level exterior thermometer mod even though I really don't need it.

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions on anything else that would be helpful!!!

Last edited:
that looks great...I love the idea of setting up the power supply out there...right now I have to drag out the extension cord every time I want to smoke to hook up my Stoker...you'll love the atc...I don't know how I lived without one...

where did you find the thread on the sprinkler box...I'd be interested in reading it

Holy cow, when you decide to do something you go all the way! I'm wondering if a roof bolted to those railroad ties is in your future...

Chuck, that's what I liked about it. Everything is housed in one place and it makes for a really clean look and install. I actually found the box at a local Home Depot for the same price.

Alan, Haha!!! Thanks! A roof isn't a bad idea, but I think the wife might actually put her foot down on that one.

Last edited:
Jason, glad you finally got your new toy, looks good with all the other Webers. By the way, was that the Performer on CL in Rockhill,SC? I saw the add a several weeks ago, read it at like 5:00 AM and a few hours later the add was gone, but it looked just like that one and it to was $55.00. Good looking shoulder I know it was tasty. So I guess I'll have to take a different route home instead of driving through Quail Hollow I'll just follow the smoke and aroma any you are more than welcome for the basket.

Thanks Don! Yup. That's the one. I saw the ad around 6am and emailed the guy. I happened to be free that morning and ran straight down to pick it up. He was moving out of state that week and the truck had already picked up his stuff and they couldn't fit the grill in it. He just needed it gone. I got there around 9 am and he said he had already had about a dozen inquiries and I happened to be the first to get there.

There's a lot of options for a roof, even something like one of those little grill gazebo's at Wally World or Big lots, heck even a Quick Shade pop up, mine you can adjust the legs lengths so maybe you could stagger it on the wall and ground but if you go that route get one with the flap/air vent on top.. yeah Like I said I emailed the same guy but never got a response so at least I know it went to a good home.

That's not a bad idea for an all day cook on the tent idea. We actually have a big tailgating tent, but overall I'm not too worried about it. Can't really see it in the pics, but the entire area is under the canopy of a couple of big trees and is completely shaded basically all day. I'll keep thinking on it though. A roof would be a good idea for putting some lights underneath.

Sorry I beat you to it Don. I put my phone number in the email when I sent it to the guy and he actually called me instead of writing back. Came to a quick agreement over the phone and went to pick it up. It was definitely a deal that couldn't be passed up.

I've got a quikshade and it's great, has a vented roof so the smoke doesn't collect. You guys are both in CLT? Me too, I live by the Northlake mall. Guess I'm going to have to start checking Craigslist 1st thing in am to beat you two guys...

Thanks guys!!!

Alan, yes, it has the gas lighting. Didn't think I'd care too much about that, but it's really nice. I just set my chimney on it when I'm lighting for my smoker too and it gets the coals lit right up and going. It was definitely a steal of a deal. Even my wife couldn't argue that one. I had planned to spend $40-50 on a table or something anyways.

You don't find many really good deals on Webers on CL around here, well there's the one guy selling 4 WSM's with stokers, but when I first saw this add my first thought was "Yeah, right, misprint" then my second thought was this could be a wife getting rid of her ex's toys. Some of the prices they ask for a plain kettle that needs a lot of tlc is outrageous.

You don't find many really good deals on Webers on CL around here, well there's the one guy selling 4 WSM's with stokers, but when I first saw this add my first thought was "Yeah, right, misprint" then my second thought was this could be a wife getting rid of her ex's toys. Some of the prices they ask for a plain kettle that needs a lot of tlc is outrageous.

Yeah someone has a banged up red kettle on there now for $140...
I just got a blue 18.5 OTG at a church auction for $10!

Nice job Jason and a very nice backyard setup. I wish I had that sort of room in my backyard.

When I got my WSM, I did the gaskets, the SS door, the compression latch, and the fire basket and am happy with all of them. Only suggestion I might throw out is that if you add a second set on handles to the fire basket, you can set your top grate right above the coals for some searing action.

Back