My first Canadian bacon / pork loin ham

I saw that whole pork loins were on sale at my local grocery store so decided I should try to make Canadian bacon or pork loin ham whatever you want to call it.
IMG_1068.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I followed the recipe from the Charcuterie book by Brian Polcyn. I made a simple brine with salt, sugar, pink salt and some spices.
IMG_1067.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I trimmed the pork loin of all the fat and silver skin I could visibly see and divided it into to equal lengths. I submerged them in the cold brine water on Wednesday night. I made sure to weigh them down so the were completely covered in brine. A kettle bell in a zip lock baggie did the trick. After 48 hours in the brine solution they tightened up quit a bit.
IMG_1069.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I let rinsed them off with cold water patted them dry and let them rest in the fridge for about 16 hours uncovered on a sheet pan. This morning I fired up the WSM 22.5 and hot smoked the loins with maple wood at 250 for internal temp of 150F.
IMG_1076.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After I pulled them off I let them rest under tin foil. I will say that these loins exceeded my expectation, the meat tastes great. I am going make one of these into Harry Soo's Barbecued Pineapple Pork Loin Ham for dinner tonight. Picture to follow...

Back