22.5 with 14.5 charcoal ring results

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
Today I was working in the back yard and decided to load up the 14.5 charcoal ring and put it in the 22.5 to see what would happen.

I lit about 12 coals and put them across the top of the pile of unlit. It got up to 240 degrees with 1 bottom vent closed and the other 2 half open. It held that 240 for about 4 hours and then dropped to 225 after 5 hours I had to leave. (all temps were from the lid thermometer)

That would be long enough to do some ribs.

I now want to try an 18 ring in the 22. Personally I would rather use just the right amount of charcoal in my 22 so that it virtually all burns up mainly because I only use it a couple times a year. My 14.5 I use every weekend so the charcoal doesn't have much time to pick up moisture.

Jeff, I don't have a 22 but I have heard a lot of people on here say they use the ring from a 18.5 in their 22.

Makes sense to me

I did a dry run test with the 14.5 ring, ran for >4 hours. I'm going to cook some ribs today.

I have an extra 22.5 ring as I bought the CB ring and am thinking of cutting and bending it to a 18" ring, I think they are 14 inches in diameter and then wiring it to hold it's shape

If I needed to make a charcoal ring I would do just as I did with the Mini-Joe - use expanded metal from Home Depot. It is relatively inexpensive and works perfectly...

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

Sooooo...are you guys saying the 22wsm is more efficient when using a smaller charcoal grate/ring?

Back